TWO late goals saw Silsden lose 3-1 against a quality Sherwood Colliery side at The Office Interiors Stadium on Tuesday night.

Sherwood took a first half lead and despite the Cobbydalers equalising through Brad Riley, but they couldn't hold on and two late goals snatched the win for the visitors.

This result means Silsden have now lost three games on the bounce and it was their second defeat to the Wood in just over a week.

Silsden started the game well with some good passing interplay in promising areas but many of the final passes ended up in the Sherwood keeper Joe McCormack's gloves.

The visitors missed a guilt-edge chance after just 12 minutes, a slip up from Dan Illingworth allowing winger Tim Gregory to break through, but his cutback evaded the men in the centre before finding its way to the back post. Somehow the finish was blazed over, much to the relief of the Silsden defence.

Minutes later, a lucky break saw Jack Normanton with space on the right-hand side, but the bobble on the pitch meant his shot flew wide of the target.

As with the last week's fixture against Sherwood, it was the Nottinghamshire side who took a first half lead, a tight call for offside but the defence switched off.

This allowed Lewis Weaver to bear down on Alfie Darke and despite getting a toe to it, the Silsden shot stopper couldn’t prevent the ball finding the back of the net.

There were plenty of chances as the half came towards to its conclusion, a cross-shot fizzed across Darke's goal but came to nothing.

He was then forced into action in quick succession, first pushing away a free-kick before making a fine diving save following a half volley.

Whilst the Cobbydalers still pushed, it was the Wood who continued to threaten on the counter, Weaver took the ball around Darke but Illingworth recovered spectacularly to make the block on the line.

Silsden began the second half the brighter, finding space and playing some nice passes. The final ball just couldn’t find its way through however and the visitors looked happy to sit back and absorb the pressure.

The positive start to the half then continued as Josi Bradshaw almost nicked in behind, only to be thwarted by a great challenge from Sherwood centre half Ewan Robson.

This was then followed up with a Silsden penalty shout after Normanton went down in the box but the referee quickly waved away the protests.

An equaliser came on 66 minutes, neat passing in the final third and an innovative flick from Bradshaw found Brad Riley. The winger kept his composure and slotted his shot low beyond McCormack.

With their tails up, the Cobbydalers kept pressing and came close just a minute later, Donovan firing his snapshot just wide.

Not long after, Normanton also tested the keeper with a low drive following some good footwork on the right.

Sherwood almost retook the lead when a scramble in the six-yard box saw the ball slid towards goal but into the hands of the grateful Darke. More brilliant defending from Silsden prevented the visitors scoring again, Harry Thompson this time making the crucial block from a corner.

But the Cobbydalers couldn’t hold on to the draw. In the dying moments the ball was worked out to Liam West on the left and his measured shot nestled in the corner to give Sherwood the lead.

The visitors added a third goal just a minute later, the ball dropped out to the edge of the box for Jamie York to rifle past Darke, all but confirming that the three points returned to Mansfield.

A disappointing result for Silsden but they have the chance to put things right as they make the trip to South Yorkshire to take on Maltby Main on Saturday, with the hope that they can put an end to their six-game winless run.