THACKLEY grabbed a narrow 1-0 home win over Bradford rivals Albion Sports last night, pushing the visitors ever closer to the relegation trapdoor in the NCEL Premier Division.

Ben Grech-Brooksbank won it with his goal early in the second half, and while Albion gave it their all, their miserable night was compounded in the last few minutes, with defender Kamron Basi dismissed for an off-the-ball incident.

Albion had the first big chance of the game, with Luke Wilson forced to tip over Jaydan Sandhu's fierce effort.

George Clarke was equal to efforts from Owen Murphy and Chris Lever as Thackley hit back, while Kris Hargreaves went close for the hosts from long range.

But the Dennyboys were indebted to Wilson once again just before the break, as he produced a fine save to keep out a header from point-blank range.

Thackley made a fast start to the second half, and they edged in front after 50 minutes, with Grech-Brooksbank heading a Loz Hunter free-kick beyond Clarke and into the net.

Lewis Waddington cracked an effort just past the post with 20 minutes to go, before Albion broke through in injury time.

But they blew their chance to equalise, with the striker firing the ball high and wide.

It got worse, with Basi dismissed for an incident involving the Thackley bench.

It meant the game finished on a sour note for Albion, and they remain second-bottom, a point and a place away from safety, but with three games in hand on the team directly above them, Hemsworth Miners Welfare.

There was another derby last night, as Steeton hosted Ilkley Town in the NWCFL First Division Cup first round.

Kayle Price set up Andy Briggs midway through the first half, and he flicked the ball home to give the Chevrons the lead.

But Ilkley survived any further damage before the break, and while Briggs and Steeton debutant Callum Buttle both went close early in the second half, the visitors dominated the final half-hour.

And in the end they got their reward, as Charlie George scrambled an equaliser over the line with virtually the last kick of the game to take it to penalties.

And Ilkley's keeper Thomas Bramley was the hero in the shootout, saving two Steeton penalties on his debut to ensure the visitors progressed into the next round.

Campion were due to play in the NWCFL First Division Cup first round tonight, at home to Bury AFC, but that game has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Brighouse Town were in NPL East Division action last night, and they went down 2-0 at home to high-flying Cleethorpes Town, thanks to goals from Luke Lofts and Scott Vernon.