CAMPION pulled off a surprise win in the West Riding County Cup First Round last night, beating Bradford (Park Avenue) 2-1 after a stunning last minute winner.

Jake Maltby fired home from 25 yards out in injury-time to seal a fine victory for the Red and Blacks against their National League North visitors.

Avenue named a strong team, with the experienced Luca Havern, Simon Richman and Nicky Clee all starting.

There was a return from injury too for Lucas Odunston, while there were five academy players named in their 16-man squad.

Avenue went ahead in the 11th minute, when Clee curled in a superb free-kick.

But Campion equalised soon afterwards, when Luke Rhodes scored from a corner.

A good save kept the hosts on level terms, before Avenue’s Brad Dockerty blazed a good chance high and wide.

First-team regulars Mark Ross and Isaac Marriott came on at the break, and Avenue started the second half strongly, but failed to find that second goal.

Campion hit back, and went close from a set-piece, before Maltby hit that dramatic late winner to send them through.

Thackley will join Campion in the second round, after a late show at Goole.

The game was locked at 0-0 with just 10 minutes to go, but then the Dennyboys won a penalty, which the in-form Ben Grech-Brooksbank converted.

A shellshocked Goole were still reeling when Owen Murphy made it two moments later, wrapping up a 2-0 win for Pat McGuire’s side.

In the NWCFL First Division North, Steeton were off-colour last night, going down to a deserved 3-1 defeat in their derby at Ilkley Town.

George Gomersall put the hosts in front after 13 minutes, before Tom Smith made it 2-0 just before the break.

Steeton substitute Jahro Parchment scored to halve the deficit on 65 minutes, but Gomersall put the game to bed soon after with a third for Ilkley.

A Laurence Sorhaindo brace and a Zeph Thomas header saw Brighouse Town win 3-1 at Hebburn Town in the NPL East Division. Thomas Potter hit a late consolation for the hosts.