HOARSE of voice and thick of head, Josh Hutchinson wisely decided to take yesterday off work.

The batsman was recovering from helping Thornton to become the 29th different club to win the Spenser Wilson Halifax League’s Briggs Priestley Parish Cup final in its 132-year history.

Coming in at an unpromising 25-2 after Thornton had won the toss and opted to bat against Booth at Sowerby Bridge, Hutchinson hit 10 fours and three sixes in an 80-ball 95.

After the early dismissals of Tom Harrison and skipper Ross Soames, Hutchinson added 99 with his stepbrother Nikki (30) and, after Greg Soames and Mick Shanks had fallen in quick succession to make it 132-5, he put on 103 with Ryan Senior (56).

A valuable 20-ball cameo from Ross Parr, whose 32 included three perfectly-executed ramp shots, then pushed Thornton to an imposing 272-9 in their 45 overs.

Booth, whose heads were down walking off after bowling, could not have imagined what would happen to their innings after tea.

They were two wickets down without any runs on the board, and it then became 9-3 and 40-7.

James Watson, whose 73 came off only 41 balls and included five fours and seven sixes, added 78 for the eighth wicket with Dave Moore (22), but his was basically a lone hand and Booth were dismissed for 140, leaving Thornton victorious by 132 runs.

“It was a slow and low wicket, with not many balls getting above knee height,” said man of the match Josh Hutchinson, “and I had to play calmly when I first came in.

“I enjoy batting with Nikki and we looked like getting about 260, 270 but when we lost those three quick wickets it looked like we would only get 200 to 220.

“Ryan then came in and played well and Ross had a good knock towards the end, although I don’t know why they did not put a fine leg in for his ramp. Both then managed to run themselves out.”

Hutchinson added: “I was gutted not to get a hundred but the grand scheme of things was more important.

“Their heads were down at half-time and I could not believe it when they were 8-3 and their three leading batsmen were out.

“Then it was 40-7 and I was pretty confident that we would win, even when Watson was batting as he would have had to score a big 100 and get most of the runs himself.

“We drank a load of beer at Sowerby Bridge CC and then the party continued back at Thornton!”

Nine-time winners Booth were unlucky to lose Usman Saghir to split webbing in his hand after bowling only seven overs (7-0-28-1), but Matthew Hoyle (8-2-21-1) bowled a nagging length at the other end as the batsmen struggled to cope initially.

Nikki Hutchinson was bowled by Moore and the match seemed in the balance when first Greg Soames, who got away with one spoon into the outfield but not a second, and Shanks, who tried to pull a ball too early in his innings, were dismissed to make it 132-5.

Senior cracked four fours and two sixes and Parr four fours and a six as the factory roof took a battering, and Thornton also delivered with the ball as Steven Senior (0), Patrick Thomas (0) and Robert Laycock (8) were back in the tent early.

They were swiftly followed by Hasnain Wajid (8), skipper Richard Laycock (18), Hoyle (0) and Matthew Horsfall (1) as the innings disintegrated against Bradley Weatherhead (4-24) and Greg Soames (2-52), who then took some punishment against the muck-or-nettles approach of Watson.

Parr (3-13) took wickets at the beginning and end of the innings and Moore was only the third Booth batsman to make double figures.

Thornton were worthy and, what is more, timely winners as within 30 seconds of the final ball the heavens opened.

Josh Hutchinson, as well as the man of the match award presented by league stalwart Peter Taylor, also received the trophy for the highest individual score.