YORKSHIRE and Surrey are set for a fascinating final day of their Specsavers County Championship clash at Scarborough, with both holding realistic hopes of victory.

Yorkshire have the edge. They started their second innings, trailing by 35, at the beginning of day three and closed on 303-9 from 96 overs - a lead of 268.

Adam Lyth posted a top-score of 68, while Will Fraine chipped in with 43, Tom Kohler-Cadmore 42, Jonny Tattersall 38 and David Willey 43 off 35 balls, arguably the innings of day.

Former England opener Lyth shared 94 for the first wicket with Fraine after their first-innings 116.

Fraine hit two morning sixes off Jordan Clark, one pulled into the mobile Yorkshire Cricket Foundation Museum and the other cut with a flourish just in front of point, before edging a drive at Ryan Patel’s medium pacers to Clark in the 26th over.

The pair have now shared four half-century stands or better in seven completed innings together.

However, they fell just short of becoming the first Yorkshire opening pair since Martyn Moxon and Ashley Metcalfe in 1988 to score two hundreds in the same Championship match.

Surrey did not make Yorkshire play enough during the morning on a pitch offering extra bounce before improving during an afternoon which yielded three wickets.

Gary Ballance was the first of the afternoon wickets, lbw to Sam Curran (3-75 from 21) for 23 - 131-2 after 35 overs, a lead of 96.

Lyth reached his second fifty of the match off 130 balls and was almost immediately dropped at backward point by Clark off Gareth Batty’s off-spin.

But he was unable to convert a sixth Championship fifty of the season into a first hundred as he fell as the first of two wickets in as many overs for Rikki Clarke.

Lyth fell caught behind off Clarke in the 53rd over before Jack Leaning was lbw in Clarke’s next for his second duck of the match, leaving the White Rose at 168-4 in the 55th over with a lead of 133.

The afternoon ended with some entertaining banter between Surrey’s players and the Scarborough crowd, who jeered the visitors after they had appealed for caught behind against Tattersall as he left alone against Patel.

For the next five to 10 minutes, the Yorkshire faithful playfully appealed after every ball. In the end, Surrey’s players joined in, even when Kohler-Cadmore or Tattersall found the middle of the bat.

Yorkshire reached tea at 185-4, leading by 150.

Afterwards, Kohler-Cadmore and Tattersall completed a fifth-wicket stand of 57 to boost Yorkshire before the former fell to Batty in the 81st over, vindicating Ben Foakes’ decision to delay taking the new ball.

Batty had Kohler-Cadmore stumped in the 81st - 225-5 and a lead of 190.

The new ball wasn’t far away, however. It was taken by Curran at the start of the 84th over and then Morne Morkel, only for Willey to hit four fours in his first 10 balls at the crease.

But Curran struck to get Tattersall caught at first slip by Clarke as Yorkshire fell to 251-6 in the 86th, a 216 lead.

Willey went on to find the fence four more times before edging Curran to Scott Borthwick at second slip in the 90th (276-7, a lead of 241).

And Morkel had Keshav Maharaj the same way with 10 more runs added in the 93rd before getting Steve Patterson caught at deep point by Patel - 295-9 in the 95th.

Ben Coad and Duanne Olivier are the not out batsmen.