Chester FC 4, Guiseley 0

Something had to give as two of the three clubs streaking away at the top of Blue Square Bet North went head to head yesterday.

No-one could have predicted the outcome as Guiseley turned in their worst display of the season, which allowed Chester to romp to their biggest victory.

The Lions were left licking their wounds as even neighbours Bradford Park Avenue could not do them a favour.

While top of the table Brackley Town were nervously edging past Avenue with a fortunate 1-0 win, the other two clubs with 100 per cent records clashed, and Chester’s on-loan marksman Ben Mills was the difference between the sides.

Mills broke the deadlock in the fifth minute and doubled the home side’s lead midway through the half with a long-range effort.

It was a well-struck shot but not one that should have troubled the normally safe hands of Guiseley keeper Steve Drench.

Chester took their two-goal lead into the break because the Lions’ best effort cannoned back off the woodwork.

Guiseley forward James Walshaw had a chance between the home side’s two goals but his shot struck a post with the home keeper beaten.

Mills completed his hat-trick when he nodded home inside the area on the hour mark.

Lions’ top scorer Gavin Rothery fired a shot off target and skipper Simon Ainge headed a Jamie Clarke cross wide as the visitors continued to struggle.

Ian Howard wrapped up the scoring just over five minutes from time.

Guiseley spokesman Stuart Allen said: “It was a bad day all round for us I’m afraid. We got what we deserved on the pitch and Rhys Meynell came off injured.

"Mills was a handful and we obviously couldn’t mark him - he is there on loan from Macclesfield Town.

“We gift-wrapped their goals for them and couldn’t hurt them with all the possession we had.

"You have to give Chester all the credit for that because they closed us down, worked hard and made the most of their chances.

“Another down side is that we don’t have a midweek match so the players will have a week to stew on it. The lads would have preferred a game to try to get this out of their systems.”

* FC Halifax bounced back from a midweek defeat to Chester by beating Blue Square North strugglers Hinckley United 2-0.

Dale Johnson and Lee Gregory scored for Town in either half of a game during which the Shaymen could have easily racked up double figures, such was their dominance.

Gareth Seddon, playing his last game before a three-match ban is implemented, put through Johnson who, from an acute angle, placed under Robert Peet to open the scoring.

The same player then nearly doubled the lead, though could only find the side-netting after an aesthetically-pleasing move by Town.

The visitors’ dominance never really waned throughout the match, as a number of chances were thwarted by Hinckley goalkeeper Peet.

Lee Gregory was the one he blocked most, a number of times one-on-one, but he could not manage it midway through the second half as the striker rounded him to tap into an empty net.