Scunthorpe United reserves 0, Bradford City reserves 2

Goals from Ross Hannah and Mark Stewart helped City ease to a victory over their counterparts from Scunthorpe United this afternoon and extend their good form in this season's Central League East Division.

With experienced defender Rob Kozluk in their line- up, the Bantams took the lead midway through the second period when Hannah pounced to fire home a teasing Dominic Rowe cross from deep inside Scunthorpe's area.

City, who looked comfortable and in control of the match for long periods, doubled their lead to secure the win when Stewart finished neatly with a firm finish past home keeper Josh Lillis at the start of the second period.

The win was City's fifth out of their first six games in the division and keeps them firmly in the leading positions in the league table.

Kozluk, 34, is technically on trial with the Bantams at present but City boss Phil Parkinson is hopeful of completing a deal to bring him to the Coral Windows Stadium for the remainder of this season.

The former Sheffield United and Barnsley right back, who was taken off at half-time as a precaution for this weekend, is available on a free transfer after leaving Port Vale last month.

Featuring in the team alongside Kozluk, City's team against the Iron also included Chris Mitchell, Luke O'Brien and Luke Dean.

Goalkeeper Matt Duke was named as well, while Lee Bullock joined young pro Dean Overson in central defence.

Stewart was involved in the first opening of the match when he cut inside from his right-wing position before forcing Lillis into a fine save low to his left after a fierce drive from just inside the area from the Scot.

With City bossing the early exchanges, Dean was next to try and test Lillis from distance but this time the effort was wayward.

Scunthorpe's young side did eventually begin to enjoy some spells of possession as the half progressed, however, and Duke had to be alert to gather a curling effort from just inside the area by James Thomas.

Overson, who was skipper, enjoyed a glimmer of an opening just before the 20-minute mark but, while under pressure from a home defender, he couldn't quite get a clear connection on a Mitchell corner and could only head wide.

City did take the lead though minutes later when an unmarked Hannah fired into the top corner from the middle of Scunthorpe's penalty area, following a fizzing low ball into the mix by Rowe.

The Bantams nearly doubled their lead shortly afterwards when Stewart turned into space inside Scunthorpe's area but his low, angled drive was prevented from finding the far bottom corner by a fine fingertip save from Lillis.

City continued to enjoy the better of the chances as the game passed the half-hour mark, with Darren Stephenson in particular going close with an angled drive that rolled narrowly past Lillis' far post.

The hosts were presented with a rare shooting opportunity a few minutes before half-time when Thomas won a free-kick just outside the area but Josh Greenhoff could only manage to curl the resulting set-piece comfortably over Duke's crossbar.

As planned pre-match, Kozluk was replaced at half time by fellow right back Andrew Burns in the only change to City's line-up after the restart.

The second period was barely a couple of minutes old when City doubled their lead through Stewart.

The former Falkirk attacker twisted into space with a neat turn past Callum Howe before rifling a low drive past Lillis from around ten yards out.

Two goals to the good now and looking for more, City seemed comfortable in the game in the early stages of the second half, although Antonio German did manage to warm the hands of Duke with a fierce drive from outside the area.

The busy Stewart, who was continuing to be a thorn in Scunthorpe's side cutting in from the right flank, troubled Lillis again just after the hour mark when the home keeper had to make a neat save low to his left to keep out a powerful drive.

Shortly after Stewart's attempt, Dean was rested in place of apprentice Thomas Marshall.

In a similar leg-saving move, Hannah was then replaced by another apprentice, Forrayah Bass, just over five minutes later.

Bass, who scored as a late substitute in City's previous reserve fixture against Gateshead last month, joined the action on the right flank to allow Stewart to pair with Stephenson up front.

As time ticked down towards seemingly another City reserve victory, the Bantams were still going in search of goals, and they nearly found one when Mitchell curled a free-kick from distance a few inches over Lillis' goal.

Stephenson went even closer minutes before the end when Howe's attempted clearance fell into his path and he shot agonisingly wide of the far post with Lillis rooted.

With the game in injury time, there was still time for City to engineer another scoring opportunity when Stewart played Marshall into space inside the area.

The apprentice couldn't quite get the ball fully under his control, however, and he could only dig out a shot that was straightforward enough for Lillis.

Scunthorpe United reserves: Lillis, Lacey, Jackson, Howe, Palmer (captain), Snow, German, Greenhoff (Hornsey 73), Thomas (Wootton 64), Thewlis, Matthews. Substitutes (not used): Fells, Trice, Cook.

Bradford City reserves: Duke, Kozluk (Burns HT), O'Brien, Dean (Marshall 69), Overson (captain), Bullock, Stewart, Mitchell, Hannah (Bass 76), Stephenson, Rowe. Substitutes (not used): Tongue, Fisher.