City 2, Nottingham Forest 1

City pulled off one of the shocks of the first round after dumping Championship promotion contenders Nottingham Forest out of the Carling Cup.

Nobody outside the club had believed it was possible but Peter Taylor’s troops revelled in their role as underdogs to provide a display full of fight and discipline.

Having been unceremoniously dismissed from the competition by Forest at the same stage last year, this was sweet revenge.

Matt Thornhill had given Forest a first-half lead but City responded well to claim a deserved equaliser after the break through David Syers, who signed on non-contract terms prior to the game.

Given another chance to impress after spending much of the summer on trial with the club, the all-action Farsley midfielder caught the eye with his enthusiasm and endeavour.

But they were characteristics prevalent throughout the team and a deserved win was sealed when substitute James Hanson scored in the first half of extra time.

Possibly with one eye on Saturday’s League Two home opener against Stevenage, Taylor made seven changes to the team that had lost 3-1 at Shrewsbury, while switching from his preferred 4-3-3 formation to a more conventional 4-4-2.

Summer arrivals Shane Duff, Tommy Doherty, Louis Moult and Jake Speight all made their full debuts and Omar Daley started on the left of midfield after returning from suspension.

The changes certainly seemed to ease the defensive insecurities that had plagued City during a disastrous second half at Shrewsbury and even though Forest continually probed, they made little headway.

Thornhill spurned a good early chance when he volleyed wide from the edge of the area, while Jon McLaughlin made a superb one-on-one save to deny Nathan Tyson after the striker had latched on to Lewis McGugan’s through ball.

At the opposite end, Daley had his moments – especially when cutting in from the left onto his preferred right foot – but proved too wasteful, lashing one effort way wide after a sharp interchange with Moult.

Doherty did a decent job of pulling the strings in midfield, frequently showing impressive range and variety in his passing, and the lively Speight did his best to provide an outlet, yet found himself continually manhandled by the physically imposing Forest defence.

When the former Mansfield striker did get free, turning on Scott Neilson’s header into the box, McGugan recovered just in time to block his goalbound volley.

Another possible Speight break was crudely halted by Joel Lynch but Steve Williams could only head over the bar from the resultant Luke O’Brien free-kick.

A minute later, City were behind. Forest swiftly moved the ball downfield and when Chris Cohen’s left-wing cross evaded everyone in the penalty area, Thornhill waited patiently for it to drop before blasting a volley into the far corner.

The visitors dominated the remaining exchanges before the break, providing the catalyst for drastic change.

Taylor used all three substitutes at the break, introducing Simon Ramsden, Hanson and Syers, to facilitate a return to 4-3-3 and provide more to aim at up front.

It worked a treat, although City first had to endure an early scare when Tyson turned Williams inside the area before placing his shot narrowly wide of the left post.

With Hanson quickly putting himself about, it was clear the Forest defence were not going to have everything their own way and a flick-on from the big targetman provided the equaliser.

Speight reacted quickly and although his effort was half-blocked by Lee Camp, Syers made up a tremendous amount of ground to slam home from a tight angle.

Buoyed by their equaliser, City twice went close to a second. Speight was involved in both, providing the opening when Moult saw his shot blocked inside the box, before pulling an effort just wide himself.

Hearts were in mouths moments later when Forest substitute Dexter Blackstock cut in from the left to rifle a shot against the post.

The rebound fell kindly for Garath McCleary but his shot was blocked on the line by the well-placed Duff.

McLaughlin made a somewhat nervy save to deny Cohen in injury time, before Hanson headed over from O’Brien’s free-kick as neither team was unable to prevent extra time.

Moult and Thornhill were both off target from promising positions in the first added period before City sensationally took the lead.

Speight was brought down inside the D by Lynch and when Ramsden’s driven free-kick was saved by Camp, it caused chaotic scenes inside the area.

Williams had a close-range effort blocked but the ball broke to Hanson, who made absolutely no mistake.

McLaughlin made a stunning stop to deny Chambers and save City’s bacon but they were otherwise comfortable in seeing out the remaining time.

City: McLaughlin 8, Rehman 7, Williams 8, Duff 8, O’Brien 7, Neilson 6 (Ramsden 46, 7), Doherty 8, Bullock 6 (Syers 46, 7), Daley 6 (Hanson 46, 8), Moult 7, Speight 8. Subs (not used): Saxton, Oliver, Horne, Threlfall.

Forest: Camp 7, Chambers 7, Morgan 7, Lynch 6 (McKenna 100), Cohen 7, McCleary 6, McGugan 7 (Adebola 72, 6), Moussi 6, Anderson 6 (Blackstock 72, 6), Thornhill 7, Tyson 6. Subs (not used): Darlow, Freeman, Gibbons, Rooney.