Farsley AFC 0, Guiseley 5

FARSLEY’S unbeaten pre-season start came to a shuddering end as they were crushed by a strong GUISELEY side who banged a handful of goals past their neighbours.

The two clubs have always been close rivals but last season’s events mean they are further apart than ever on the non-league ladder, with yesterday suggesting their squads reflected that accurately.

Some things never change though and Guiseley striker Jamie Walshaw was soon on his back in the penalty area. His first appeal was turned away but minutes later he gained the award and duly scored from the spot.

Walshaw was fouled again just after the hour mark, this time outside the area, and he drilled a superb free-kick into the bottom corner to give the Lions a 2-0 half-time lead.

Trialist Chibuzor Chilaka chipped in with a second-half brace of his own. He netted in the 47th and 85th minutes, either side of close-season signing Darryn Stamp heading in for the visitors.

Once again it was a big scoring day all around as the semi-professional clubs made the most of their friendly fixtures.

BRIGHOUSE TOWN ran out 3-0 winners at home to Colne thanks to a double from Graham Merchant and a Nathan Cartman strike. Yet manager Mark Brier still felt it was a frustrating afternoon.

He said: “They had a guy sent off early so neither club got what they wanted from the game really. Both managers asked the referee to reconsider because we felt it was a full-blooded 50-50 challenge.

“The ref wouldn’t change his mind or ask for an enforced substitution instead. Perhaps his hands were tied by red tape, I don’t know, but that certainly had a bearing on the result.”

ECCLESHILL UNITED hammered visitors Durham Athletic 8-1, with Andy Howland bagging a hat-trick.

Sam Reilly (2), Marcus Edwards, Scott Price and Jamil Joseph were the other Eagles scorers, while the north-easterners’ consolation came from the penalty spot.

There was another goal-fest at Settle where THACKLEY fired in half a dozen, on this occasion without reply.

The returning Joel Etienne bagged a hat-trick, Matt Morgan, Ross Daly and Matt Mathers weighing in with one apiece.

LIVERSEDGE were on the end of a 1-0 home defeat in a rearranged warm-up game. They were beaten by a Calvin Henson strike as Ossett Town took up the fixture. Scheduled visitors Bay Athletic will now play Sedge on Tuesday night.