Bradford Salem ended Leodiensian's unbeaten home record with a hard-earned 24-13 victory on Saturday, which moved them up into fifth place in Counties One Yorkshire.

Although the pitch at Crag Lane was on the heavy side, the conditions did not prevent either team from playing some entertaining rugby, and, despite the fact that a couple of early penalties in their favour gave Leos the upper hand in the opening exchanges, Salem were first on the scoreboard.

That came when centre Logan Simpson showed great footwork and speed to score a fine try, improved by Jake Green to give the visitors a 7-0 lead after only eight minutes.    

Salem soon increased their advantage to 12 points when a superb pass by centre Sui Matagi created a try for scrum-half Kyle Carter.

Leos hit back with a Ted Farmer penalty to reduce the arrears to 12-3 and referee, James Bex, then had to speak to both captains following an altercation.

Two minutes later, Salem were reduced to 14 men when second-rower Fin Southcott, playing in his 50th first-team game for the club, was yellow carded for retaliation.

Yet Leos, who turned down several opportunities to take three points, failed to capitalise on the extra man, as Salem somehow managed to hold out with their nine-point advantage intact until half-time.

With seven minutes of the second half played, Leos closed the gap courtesy of a second penalty from the boot of Farmer and, no sooner had Southcott returned to the fray, Salem were again reduced to 14 men when Tom Cummins was sin-binned for a deliberate knock -on.

The visitors were not deterred by this setback, as swift handling in the backs and some excellent tactical kicking by fly-half Andy Robinson got them deep into opposition territory.

Then, following a driving maul from a line-out 15 metres out, Salem hooker James Brown was on hand to burrow his way over for a try, which Green improved to put the visitors 19-6 ahead.

Leos responded almost immediately when a break down the right flank by winger Callum Bolton got them back to within striking distance.

The hosts were then awarded a penalty and Farmer caught the Salem defence cold by taking a quick tap before darting under the posts for a try.

He added the extras himself, reducing the deficit to 19-13 in the process.

Straight from the restart, an excellent 50-22 kick by Robinson earned Salem a line-out five metres from the opposition line.

After Green went close from that, Carter scored his second try of the game following a catch and drive to take the score to 24-13.

Despite some strong carries by Conor Wood, Matagi, Cummins and man-of-the match Southcott in the closing stages, Salem were unable to add to their tally.

However, they were more than happy to secure five valuable league points as they ran out 24-13 winners.

Salem will hope to build on that victory when they host third-bottom Old Rishworthian this Saturday.