BRADFORD (Park Avenue) are still without a win since August, after they lost on penalties in the FA Trophy third qualifying round to Nantwich Town.

Nantwich play in the division below Avenue, but did enough to hold their hosts to a goalless draw yesterday, before coming from behind to win the shootout 6-5.

After a quiet start, Nantwich came close to opening the scoring midway through the first half.

Connor Heath was played in behind but saw his effort saved by George Sykes-Kenworthy, Kai Evans’ follow-up was blocked, before Ahmed Ali hit the rebound straight at the Avenue stopper.

Bradford youngster Lewis Hey gave Nantwich a scare soon after when he sent a free-kick just over the bar.

Byron Harrison nearly netted for the visitors from a cutback, but blazed his left-footed effort over.

Harrison Hopper was then forced off injured for Avenue, but they at least went into the break level, having survived a penalty appeal.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Harrison Hopper (left) is an integral part of Mark Bower's midfield at Bradford (Park Avenue) so they will want to lose him for too long.Harrison Hopper (left) is an integral part of Mark Bower's midfield at Bradford (Park Avenue) so they will want to lose him for too long. (Image: John Rhodes.)

Avenue started the second half brightly, getting in behind a couple of times before Brad Dockerty had a clear sight of goal.

The home forward danced into the box, cut inside and outside, but wasted his hard work by blasting his shot over the bar from close range.

Evans then beat Sykes-Kenworthy to Heath’s ball through, only to fire the ball wide from a tight angle.

Jordan Preston nodded Hey’s cross wide as Avenue attempted to hit back, while team-mate Myles La Bastide also came close with a late headed attempt.

Good feet from Evans saw him almost score the winner with two minutes to go, only for Sykes-Kenworthy to deny him.

The game went straight to penalties after that goalless 90 minutes, and when Dockerty and Chinedu Osadebe netted, with Evans having his spot-kick saved, Avenue found themselves 2-0 up in the shootout.

But two saves from Scott Moloney in the Nantwich goal, along with another from Sykes-Kenworthy, took things to sudden death.

And Lucas Odunston was the fall guy, blazing Avenue’s eighth penalty over the bar, before Ali scored to send Nantwich through 6-5 on spot-kicks.