Cleckheaton welcomed Sandbach to Moorend for the first time and recorded a seven-try winning performance in the Papa Johns Community Cup Regional Plate Competition.

Cleckheaton were forced into a late change, with Sam Cheney moving from the bench to the second row, Josh Plunkett into the back row with James Wilson at full-back.

On the bench were Rich Noble, Wade Laycock and Archie Rika Rayne, the latter making his first appearance in almost a year.

Cleckheaton kicked off and were awarded a penalty at the breakdown. Dale Breakwell stepped up and put it over the posts from 30 metres out to open the scoring 3-0.

On 10 minutes, good work at the ruck by Brad Marsden saw another successful penalty from Dale Breakwell for 6-0.

It took until 16 minutes of almost constant Cleckheaton pressure before a try was scored.

After a scrum in midfield, Tom Breakwell set a blindside move up.

A long pass found its way to Jack Marshall, who beat his man and popped a pass to Tom Hainsworth, who touched down in the corner for his ninth try of the season. The kick went wide as Cleck had to settle for an 11-0 lead.

Sandbach showed some willing going forward and they opened their account with a try by the second row Tom Namgauds. The conversion hit the post, meaning the score was 11-5 after 20 minutes.

When Cleck's player/head coach Thiu Barnard was yellow carded for hands in the ruck, with Sanbach already on the front foot at the point, the visitors looked to be in with a real chance.

But while down to 14 men, Hainsworth made a break down the left, he handed on to Mike Hayward who found Wilson in support.

He scored the try, his second of the season, to make it 16-5.

The game was blown apart by two Cleckheaton tries in two minutes in first half stoppage time.

Firstly, great work by Joe Flanagan and Cheney led to them feeding Plunkett for a score, with Breakwell converting for 23-5.

From the restart, there was a Cleckheaton kick downfield that was fumbled by the opposing winger under pressure from Jack Marshall.

To make matters worse for Sandbach, Marshall got to the loose ball first to touch down in the corner for his 15th try of the season.

Breakwell missed the conversion but even so, at half-time Sandbach were looking shell shocked as they trailed 28-5.

In the second half, Cleckheaton were playing with the wind, and after a penalty was kicked to touch five metres out, Barnard won the ball and the pack drove towards the line, with hooker Robin Bennett on hand to touch down.

Breakwell converted to give Cleckheaton an unassailable 35-5 lead.

On 55 minutes, Bennett turned provider, with he and Dom Brambani combining to put Breakwell in for his first try of the season, which he converted himself for 42-5.

On 58 minutes a Sandbach attack on the 10 metre line broke down and Marsden scampered away before getting tackled 20 metres out.

Flanagan was in support though and he helped the ball on to Barnard romped over the line for Cleckheaton's seventh try of the game.

Breakwell added a goal from wide out to make the score 49-5.

On 65 minutes, Cleckheaton lost the ball in a promising position and the Sandbach number 12 Ryan Barrett went 60 metres to score.

The score remained at 49-10 after the conversion was off target.

The final score of the game came after Sandbach won a scrum 15 metres out and transferred the ball quickly to the right for a third try from Michael Butler on 79 minutes.

The kick went wide, meaning the final score was 49-15 in the home side's favour.

Cleckheaton's next game in the competition will be on April 15, away at York, while Sandbach will meet Stockport, both games kick off at 3pm.