CLECKHEATON welcomed West Bridgford, visitors to Moorend for the first time, and came away with a comprehensive 45-11 victory in Regional One North East on Saturday.

There was a minute's silence before the game in memory of Her Majesty the Queen, which was observed impeccably.

Cleckheaton kicked off and were on the scoreboard inside four minutes.

Brad Marsden won ball at the lineout and Richard Piper made ground with a strong carry up the middle.

Tom Hainsworth made the telling break and gave a scoring pass to Dom Flanagan, who ran 40 metres to score the try, Dale Breakwell adding the goal to make the score 7-0.

Visitors West Bridgford opened their account with a simple 30-metre penalty for an offence at the ruck, Ben Dickinson making the score 7-3.

The visitors came into the game, with some swift handling and a great run by centre Callum Gunn, which was only spoilt by a loose pass, as Cleckheaton were able to clear their lines.

On 14 minutes, Cleckheaton won a scrum against the head, scrum half Ollie Depledge picked up and Andy Piper and Niall Jackson carried the movement on.

Dom Flanagan then got the ball and kicked ahead for Jack Marshall to pick up and score a second try for the hosts, Dale Breakwell adding the extras for 14-3.

There was a lull in the action, with both teams attempting to move the ball around the park, and it was West Bridgford who came closest to scoring.

Scrum-half George Cole thought he was in for a try, but he was halted by a superb last-ditch tackle from Robin Bennett on 29 minutes.

On 33 minutes, Dickinson kicked a second penalty after Cleckheaton were penalised in front of the posts to reduce the deficit to eight points.

Cleckheaton then set a maul up down the right, before Breakwell put in a cross kick towards the left wing.

Mikey Hayward kicked on and his centre partner Hainsworth crossed for a third try, Breakwell adding the goal to make the score 21-6 after 36 minutes.

Cleckheaton finished half with a flourish, when Hainsworth made a half-break and threw a pass out to Dom Flanagan.

The winger somehow stayed inside the sidelines to score his second try of the afternoon, which gave Cleckheaton a try bonus point.

Breakwell once again added the goal to make the score 28-6 to the hosts at half-time.

At the start of the second half, Dickinson was penalised for a high tackle.

But when Marshall tried to take a quick tap, referee Adam Robson pulled the play back and the Cleck winger threw the ball away, earning him a yellow card along with Dickinson.

When play resumed, Cleckheaton won the lineout and the maul rumbled forward, with Richard Piper prominent.

He handled the ball twice, before Joe Flanagan forced his way over from close range.

Breakwell subsequently added his fifth goal of the afternoon, making the score 35-6 on 47 minutes.

Moments later, from a scrum on the West Bridgford 10-metre line, Depledge went blindside and fed Dom Flanagan.

He in turn passed the ball inside to Hainsworth, who scored his second try of the game.

Breakwell hit the post with the conversion, ending a superb run of 20 consecutive successes with the boot, and the score remained at 40-6.

West Bridgford kept plugging away though and soon found themselves camped on the Cleckheaton line.

The ball was slow to be recycled but eventually the centre Connor Mee got free and crossed for the first try of the game for the visitors.

The conversion was missed, meaning the score was 40-11 after 58 minutes.

Just after the hour mark, Marshall joined the two-try club.

Quick thinking by Breakwell saw him put a short kick across to the left for Marshall, who skipped around a couple of defenders for Cleckheaton's seventh try of the game.

Breakwell fired his conversion wide but Cleckheaton were already out of sight at 45-11 in front.

There was no further scoring in the closing minutes, as the hosts wrapped up a comprehensive victory.

The win puts Cleckheaton in fifth on nine points from two games, but they are just a point behind early leaders Billingham.

This coming Saturday, Cleckheaton travel to York looking to back up their strong start to the season.

Kick off is at 3pm and a coach for the players and supporters will leave West Yorkshire at around 12:30pm ( please check Cleckheaton's website for confirmation).