Guiseley 1 Witton Albion 1

Guiseley battled hard on a treacherous pitch at Nethermoor and earned a draw against leaders Witton Albion with an injury-time equaliser.

The UniBond Premier Division title is Witton's for the taking, so it was a very good point for Guiseley. Their leveller may have had a last-gasp feel about it but for sheer effort and attitude it was just reward.

The opening quarter hour was very open but then Witton began to take a grip on the game. The drizzle was light but unrelenting and the surface became increasingly slippery, which led to an entertaining if a little nervous encounter.

Home goalkeeper Piotr Skiba had to be on top form as the visitors pushed for an expected victory, making saves from lively midfielder Dave Macpherson and the attacking pair of Adam Warlow and Rod Thornley.

He was eventually beaten in the 62nd minute and it stemmed from two defensive mistakes because of the surface.

Firstly Lee Pugh gave the ball away to Thornley but he fired over the angle of post and bar. Skiba then made a hash of the goalkick - sending it straight to Thornley, who was only denied by a superb tackle by Simon Sturdy. However, the resulting corner was not cleared and Alex Brown netted a low drive.

In perfect irony it was Pugh who scored Guiseley's injury-time equaliser. There was some desperate defending by Witton as two efforts were blocked but the ball was eventually knocked back to Pugh and he lashed a shot into the top left-hand corner from the edge of the area.

Guiseley travel to mid-table Hednesford Town tomorrow night looking for a three-point maximum and boss Steve Kittrick said: "It was a great point to take because Witton are a very good side. I've no doubt they will win the title.

"It puts us right back in the play-off race but Saturday's draw will mean nothing if we don't build on it."

Guiseley announced they had signed Bradford City winger Sean Taylforth on Friday but he was not in the 14 at the weekend and not mentioned by Kittrick for tonight's squad.