City fired three goals in 13 second-half minutes to clinch their second league double and leave Meadow Lane stunned.

Notts County, scrambling to pull themselves clear from the drop zone, must have thought they were on the way to three more crucial points after taking the lead just before the hour.

David Wetherall, given a rousing reception before the game by the travelling fans, had made a vital block to deny Richard Butcher in the box. But the ball broke kindly for Ryan Jarvis to beat Scott Loach at the near post.

But the goal stirred City dramatically into life and within three minutes they were level.

A long pass from debutant TJ Moncur, playing in place of ankle victim Matt Clarke, picked out Peter Thorne who did the rest with a thumping finish for his tenth goal of the campaign.

Suddenly the game was turned on its head with City pouring forward.

Omar Daley caused panic with his deep cross from the left, City kept the pressure on through substitute Alex Rhodes and Joe Colbeck slammed home from 12 yards.

And City made it 3-1 with 16 minutes left as Rhodes broke, exchanged passes with Daley, and then coolly slotted the ball past on-loan goalkeeper Russell Hoult.

The 35-year-old, borrowed from Stoke yesterday, prevented further embarrassment by turning away a rasping effort from Daley and then smothering the ball at the feet of Thorne as City hunted for more.

It was an encouraging return to form after the two recent home defeats and City ran out comfortable winners.

The second 45 minutes were a complete contrast to the first, though Willy Topp twice had the chance to break his scoring duck.

His first effort after being slipped through by Colbeck lacked the power to trouble County's on-loan keeper Russell Hoult.

But he should have opened his account after 24 minutes. Colbeck, recalled in place of Kyle Nix, was again the provider with a storming run through the middle before picking out the Chilean on his own at the edge of the box.

It looked the perfect chance for Topp but he could not keep his effort down and the shot flew over the bar.

Notts County forced six corners in the opening 45 minutes but had little to show for them, other than a Jay Smith shot which slid past the post.

CITY: Loach, Starosta, Wetherall, Moncur, Heckingbottom, Colbeck, Johnson, Bullock, Daley, Topp, Thorne. Subs: Williams, Conlon, Rhodes, Penford, Nix.