KEIGHLEY Cougars made sure they went into their bye week with a 100 per cent record as they ground out a hard-fought 26-6 home victory over Doncaster.

The game, the first meeting between the two since the Dons' dramatic play-off victory last October, was a real war of attrition as the two sides' defences were on show throughout, before Keighley pulled away in the game's closing stages.

After an even start to proceedings, a moment of genius from Jack Miller opened the scoring.

The Cougars captain stepped through the line and fed the ball left, where Alix Stephenson was on hand to touch down in the corner.

Jake Webster had the opportunity to extend his side's early advantage but knocked on under pressure as he went to ground the ball.

Doncaster had a chance to get on to the scoreboard as Jason Tali rampaged to the line but a superb last-ditch tackle by James Feather, making his 350th appearance for the club, kept the centre at bay.

Keighley then had a sustained period of pressure on the Dons' line, but the visitors held up their opposition on no fewer than four occasions.

The 10-metre restart that followed the last of those hold-ups saw the Cougars extend their lead shortly before the interval.

The ball was again worked to the left edge, where Charlie Graham showed great determination to turn his way through an attempted tackle and force himself over the line for his first try of the season.

The second half continued in a similar vain to the first as both sides' attacks floundered under immense defensive pressure.

And again, it was a moment of individual brilliance from Miller that got Keighley over the line.

The half-back exploited the blindside from 10 metres out and fed Lewis Young through the gap in the defensive line, the full-back rounding the uprights to touch down beneath the crossbar.

Webster then thought he was in at the corner for a further score, but the touch judge ruled he had been dragged into touch when the ball appeared to have been stripped in the tackle.

The sides then exchanged tries in quick succession.

After the Dons were penalised for offside near to their own line, Miller and Scott Murrell linked up and sent the ball right to Nathan Roebuck.

The centre dived over in the corner despite the best efforts of Tali to knock him into touch.

A short kick-off worked in Doncaster’s favour as they regained possession.

From there, they worked their way up the field to the Keighley line, where Ben Johnston scooted over from dummy half to finally break the Cougars' defensive resilience.

The score restored some confidence in the Dons' attack, and they tried to create something to get themselves back in the game.

But once again, they were met with a sea of red shirts as Keighley continued to impress in defence.

And the Cougars finished with a flourish to keep up their 100 per cent start to the new league campaign.

Mo Agoro cut inside from the right wing and broke through the tiring Doncaster side, but he was halted by scrambling defence.

From the resulting break of tackle, he flicked out the back into the path of Webster, who rounded the posts to score his first of the season.

The game then had the curtain brought down on it with a memorable moment.

With the conversion being in front of the uprights, Miller gave the tee to Feather, who marked his landmark day with a historic first ever conversion for the club.