BRADFORD Salem scored seven tries in a commanding 46-31 win over fellow strugglers Huddersfield YMCA, and the well-earned 5 points means they have leapfrogged their opponents in the Yorkshire One table.

Salem made a bright start as 17-year-old winger Caleb McConville, who had an outstanding game, burst through the midfield straight from the kick off.

Further fine breaks by Callum Smith and Morgan Mirzaali unfortunately came to nothing, but the visitors were still looking increasingly threatening, especially when they took two scrums against the head.

With just over 10 minutes played, the pressure finally told and, following a good run by scrum half Ben Shaw, centre Joel MacFarlane raced away to score under the posts, Sam Allan adding the extras to give Salem a 7-0 lead.

YMCA hit back almost immediately and, after capitalising on a knock on by Fin Southcott, a sustained period of pressure led to a try, which was improved by fly-half Michael Bray.

Salem were then penalised straight from the restart and Bray converted from the halfway line to put his side 10-7 in front.

Salem suffered a huge blow as playmaker Allan was forced to leave the field with a head injury he sustained when pulling off a try-saving tackle.

With head coach Neil Spence forced into reorganising the Salem back-line, Huddersfield took advantage to score a second converted try to go 17-7 ahead.

This seemed to spur Salem into action and, after another superb run by Caleb McConville, elder brother Xander was on hand to score a try in the right corner.

Smith landed a magnificent touchline conversion into the breeze to reduce the deficit to 17-14.

Salem were now playing with confidence and retook the lead when Jake Green crossed to give them a 21-17 lead.

However, when referee Jonathan Keeton penalised Salem for crossing, YMCA launched a wave of attacks on their opponents' line.

Despite some desperate defending by Salem, the hosts finally forced their way over the whitewash, Bray landing the conversion to give his side a slender 24-21 advantage at the break.

An excellent 50/20 kick by No.8 Tom Cummins early in the second half earned Salem a lineout inside the opposition 22, and, after winning possession and with YMCA down to 14 men following the sin-binning of Kobiti Nasaqa, Salem looked certain to score.

However, play was then suspended following a neck injury to a Huddersfield player, the game finally resuming with a five-metre scrum in Salem's favour after a delay of 15 minutes.

After winning possession, the ball was shipped wide to Caleb McConville, who rounded his opposite number to score a fine try to put Salem back in front at 26-24.

Salem were now in the ascendancy and extended their lead to 33-24 when MacFarlane broke away for a brilliant solo effort, which Smith improved.

Salem were soon back on the attack and although flanker Oliver Leadbeater was held up short, moments later, his neat off-load set up a try for Smith to put the visitors 38-24 ahead.

To their credit, YMCA refused to throw in the towel and they earned themselves a bonus point with a fourth try to cut the deficit to 38-31.

However, with 20 minutes remaining, Leadbeater eased Salem nerves as he forced his way over from close range, Smith adding the extras for a 43-31 lead.

Salem were hindered by injuries to Mirzaali and Smith in the final quarter and when they were awarded a penalty in a kickable position, skipper Green took the three points on offer to seal a welcome and much-deserved 46-31 victory.

Up in North One East, rock-bottom Bradford & Bingley gifted Scarborough a home walkover win, while Cleckheaton secured a thrilling 28-24 win at promotion rivals Heath.

Neither leaders Keighley nor Old Grovians were playing in Yorkshire Two, but Baildon flew the Bradford flag, winning 27-7 at Yarnbury.

For once, it was struggling Wibsey who were the ones awarded a walkover victory in Yorkshire Three, against basement side Old Otliensians on this occasion.