KEIGHLEY returned to winning ways with a vengeance in Yorkshire Two on Saturday by obliterating Ripon 100-8, a record score for the Utley outfit.

Having suffered a surprise 10-6 defeat at Wath Upon Dearne last time out, the leaders were in no mood to suffer the same fate for a second week in a row.

Depleted visitors Ripon were put to the sword by a dominant, skilled Keighley side, with winger Alan Ebbrell helping himself to a hat-trick of tries.

The game started fairly evenly, with both teams doing their best to move the ball wide.

Some early attacks out of defence by winger Kristian Bealey-Kay and centre Sean Kelly were indicators that Keighley possession was to be kept in hand and attack was the best form of defence.

The pressure led to a successful penalty for outside-half Alex Brown.

Ripon’s lively scrum-half Morgan Clark levelled the score soon afterwards with a difficult penalty kick, but then the floodgates opened for the hosts.

Good work at the breakdown provided quick ball, which allowed the Keighley forwards to cross the gain line and condense the opposition defence.

Quick hands then exposed the edges, and led to well-taken tries for Bealey-Kay and Ebbrell.

Alex Brown added a further penalty and one of the conversions.

Ripon made every effort to get back into the game, some strong runs from prop George Evans and centre James Woolfenden giving the home team defence some problems.

However, for all their efforts, Ripon were unable to score.

The momentum then swung back to Keighley, and there was a further try for Ebbrell, as well as one for busy hooker Jake Parkinson, with Brown adding both conversions.

Once again though, the visitors forced their way into Keighley territory, and a poor chip kick gave their big centre Woolfenden possession and a long run in to score wide out.

Ripon gained confidence and an interception almost led to a further try.

But having survived that scare, Keighley refocused their efforts, and gaining good possession, they drove a five-metre scrum over Ripon's try line, with number eight Tom Whyte claiming the touchdown.

As the half drew to a close, winger Bealey-Kay crossed for his second try, converted by Brown.

The second half was almost a replay of the first.

Early pressure and some clever interplay from Keighley's second rows Ed Keighley and Stuart Inman gave Lucas Uren a chance to drive his way over the whitewash, ably assisted by Inman, and once again Brown added the conversion.

With Keighley oozing confidence and prepared to keep the ball alive at all costs, there were four well-worked tries.

Full-back Jack Atkinson, who had an outstanding game, scored the first, followed by Brown, then wingers Ebbrell and Sam Blakely.

Brown added all four conversions to increase that huge lead even further.

Ripon did what they could, but constant pressure from the dynamic Keighley forwards and good hands from the backs led to a well-taken try for prop Sam Cleaver.

Scrum-half George Marshall, with a cheeky show and go, also got over the line, before the final try was scored by centre Sean Kelly.

Alex Brown added two of the conversions from those final three tries, the last of which got his side up to 100 points, a Keighley record score.