BAILDON survived the second-half dismissal of Conor Wood to secure bragging rights in their Yorkshire Two derby against next-to-bottom Old Grovians with a 15-5 win.

Baildon centre Andy Robinson, a former Wibsey and Bradford Salem player, said: “Our defence was solid throughout the game but we also kept in there as a team and dug deep when we needed to.

“They were attacking our line in the first half, and for the first half of the second half they were all over us but we managed to keep them out for long periods.

“Grovians moved the ball well but we got up quickly and gave them very little space to move as we knew that they had some fast kids out wide.”

Robinson, seeking regular game time, left Wibsey for Baildon last month, and said: “I really like what they are doing here, it is very professional, training numbers are excellent and it is good for me.”

Grovians forward Chris Blackhall said: “The most disappointing thing was our lack of conviction.

“However, we have got some new players down and continuity will start to come through.

“The desire is there, the passion is there, the numbers at training are there but we just need to be more clinical and streetwise, although Baildon are a good team and defended well.”

Grovians’ cause would have been helped if scrum-half Ben Brown had kicked two penalties in the first half, the first of which seemed a gimme.

However, the half-back had been thrust back into the goal-kicking role after four months away from it, with Louis Anderson missing and Ed Brown preferring not to have the responsibility.

Baildon made them pay with tries in the fifth and 40th minutes, firstly when Robinson made good ground to give flanker Harrison Strauss the chance to put his brother Luke over in the left-hand corner.

The second try was in the opposite corner when full-back Jake Duxbury’s grubber bounced nicely for Oliver Shakeshaft to score, with Duxbury adding a superb conversion to his penalty in the 25th minute.

Harrison Strauss was sin-binned for an accumulation of team penalties three minutes after that, but Baildon survived temporarily being a man short.

Wood received a red card in the 47th minute for a high tackle on Grovians winger Kobe O’Brien, but the only damage that the Cross Green tenants inflicted on them after that dismissal came in the 50th minute when a long Brown pass put O’Brien over in the left-hand corner.

Brown was then yellow carded by referee Dan Boddy for shoving after a minor fracas.

Duxbury missed two kicks at goal for Baildon in the second half, while Grovians lost number eight Ed King to a shoulder dislocation after a tackle.

Baildon remain 10th in the 14-team table after their victory.