ECCLESHILL United showed their title credentials in the NCEL Premier Division on Saturday by thumping leaders Grimsby Borough 4-1.

Jonny Irving hit a superb hat-trick as Lee Elam’s side recovered from going a goal down inside the first five minutes to storm to a stunning home win.

It means the Eagles now sit just four points behind Borough in second, with a game in hand to boot.

Grimsby went in front with a great strike from the edge of the box with the game’s first real chance, but Eccleshill hit back quickly.

Dependable defender Sam Bradley has hit a bit of a scoring streak of late, and he grabbed his third in three games, when he headed home a corner at the back post.

Eagles goalkeeper Ed Wilczynski saved a penalty to keep the scores level, before a goalline clearance denied the hosts at the other end.

But just before the break, Eccleshill did edge in front.

A great ball in behind put Irving through one-on-one, and he finished it nicely.

Irving bundled in his second and Eccleshill’s third after 50 minutes, giving his side a bit of breathing space.

The forward made the game safe with 20 minutes to go, turning the ball home after some pinball in the box.

Thackley had been in great form too, and they would have gone fourth with victory over visiting Handsworth.

But the Sheffield outfit are no mugs, and they grabbed a 1-0 win courtesy of a header after 43 minutes.

It was a disappointing result for the Dennyboys, who had plenty of chances, but failed to take them.

Silsden have been on fire away from home this season, and they romped to a 4-0 win at rock-bottom Athersley Recreation on Saturday.

It was goalless at the interval, but the Cobbydalers ran riot in the second half.

Jack Normanton and Mo Qasim both scored twice, as Danny Forrest’s side rose up to ninth in the table.

Albion Sports are fourth-bottom, but they fought hard in their home clash against high-flying Bottesford Town.

They went 1-0 up courtesy of Jamal Stewart, but Town hit back well, and eventually secured a 2-1 win.

Campion’s good run in the NWCFL First Division North came to a halt, as they lost 2-0 at home to Holker Old Boys.

A thrilling game at Atherton LR saw Steeton lose 4-3. Jack Lynn and Andy Briggs both scored in the first half for the visitors, but the hosts were still 3-2 up at the break.

A late penalty sealed it for Atherton, while Kayle Price scored a spot-kick of his own in injury-time.

Nicky Walker hit a hat-trick as leaders Liversedge extended their NPL East Division unbeaten record to 11 games with a 5-0 win at Ossett United.

Joe Walton and Ollie Fearon were the other men on target for Sedge.

Harrison Beeden was on target for Brighouse Town in their 3-1 defeat at Shildon.

Finally, Guiseley will visit AFC Wimbledon in the FA Cup first round if they win a home replay tomorrow night against Brackley Town.

The initial fourth qualifying round tie finished 1-1 on Saturday, Jake Hull grabbing Guiseley’s goal.