OLD Grovians registered their first win of the Yorkshire Two season with a gutsy performance in Settle to beat North Ribblesdale 19-15.

In the early pouring rain, Grovians showed good attacking intent and both sides exchanged penalties in the first 20 minutes. Fly half Louis Anderson scoring Grovians' three pointer.

On 24 minutes, centre Anthony Griffin was held up over the line as Grovians continued to dominate the play in the Ribblesdale half.

A few minutes later Anderson added his second penalty to give Grovians a 6-3 lead.

On the half hour, Innocent Mazhambe charged through two tackles into the Ribblesdale 22 but was hauled down just short of the line.

Mazhambe was injured in the process and was replaced by Jona Schmidt.

On 35 minutes, Anderson added another penalty, before visiting prop Will Robinson suffered an ankle injury following a collapsed maul.

The referee played 52 minutes in the first half, and on the stroke of half-time great Grovians defence kept Ribblesdale out.

Grovians led 9-3 at the break and outstanding defence from them in the first 10 minutes of the second period ensured things stayed that way.

On 60 minutes Anderson and Paddy Ziegler made a break into the Ribblesdale half and Grovians' record try scorer Griffin was on hand to take the pass and shrug off three tackles to dot down over the line.

Anderson converted and Grovians led 16-3.

With ten minutes remaining, Ribblesdale gave themselves some hope when a forward surge saw them score their first try.

Crucially the conversion was missed, meaning Grovians maintained an eight-point lead and Ribblesdale needed to score twice.

With five minutes left, Anderson narrowly missed a penalty, but he made no mistake a few moments later to make it 19-8.

With two minutes remaining, Sam Dodd was yellow carded for Grovians, and in the very last play Ribblesdale forced their way over from a lineout close to the line.

The conversion was added, making the final score 19-15 to Grovians, with Ribblesdale at least earning themselves a losing bonus point.

Like last week at Wheatley Hills, injuries to key players hampered Grovians, but their team spirit shone through with a great second half defensive effort.

Coach Andy Hinchliffe said afterwards: “The commitment and effort was outstanding and every player gave 100 per cent for the full 100 minutes.

“You can’t ask for more.”

Elsewhere in Yorkshire Two, Keighley beat Hullensians 30-14, while Baildon lost a thriller 31-27 to Northallerton.

Up in North One East, Bradford & Bingley were unable to raise a side for their clash at Pocklington, meaning they lose five points for being unable to fulfil the fixture.

Cleckheaton had a better day, winning 34-20 at Consett.

Wibsey had the same problem as the Bees down in Yorkshire Three, meaning scheduled opponents Skipton had a home walkover win.