DESPITE scoring three tries to none, Bradford Salem slipped to their first Yorkshire One defeat as Old Rishworthian fly-half Josh Kelly kicked seven successive penalties to help his side to a 21-15 home win.

The hosts, who came into the game on the back of a heavy defeat at Beverley the previous week, went 9-0 up after just 15 minutes courtesy of three Kelly penalties, the second of which was two metres inside his own half.

With just over 20 minutes gone, Salem hit back when second rower Oliver Leadbeater's take at a lineout was driven on by the pack and skipper and number eight Christian Baines forced his way over the whitewash.

Although winger Jake Green missed the conversion, Salem were very much back in it at 9-5.

Unfortunately, a mistake by Salem straight from the restart resulted in yet another penalty and Kelly made no mistake as the hosts went 12-5 in front.

Salem conceded two silly penalties just before half-time, allowing Kelly to give his side an 18-5 advantage at the break.

To compound Salem's woes, Baines was harshly sent to the sin-bin by referee Matthew Higgins, when he made contact with fellow back-row forward Simanu Tusiga's shoulder, who seemed to lose his footing and fall into the tackle.

But after Baines returned to the fray, it was then Rishworthian's turn to be reduced to 14, as centre Corey White was shown a yellow card for a high shot on his opposite number, Morgan Mirzaali.

Salem took advantage almost immediately, and, after a strong run by blindside flanker Ben Whitaker, swift handling in the backs gave Green the opportunity to show off his finishing power.

He crossed for an excellent try in the right corner to reduce the arrears to 18-10.

However, once again, Salem conceded a penalty straight from the restart and Kelly stroked the ball through the uprights to give his side a 21-10 lead.

Salem suffered another blow when fly-half Matty Smith was yellow carded for a tip tackle, but with just over 10 minutes remaining, a superb touch-finder from scrum half Callum Smith got the Bradford side deep into opposition territory.

Then, after winning ball from a lineout, the ball was spun wide and Green again used his pace and power to dive over for his second try to get his side back to within a score at 21-15.

Salem now had their tails up and punishing runs from Baines and fellow back-rower Sam Backhouse gave them every chance to push for victory.

With the final play of the match, Salem full-back Ben Shaw looked like he might score a game-changing try.

But he opted to pass at the wrong moment, and the ball was intercepted by a Rish player, allowing the hosts to close out a 21-15 victory.