KEIGHLEY Cougars put on a scintillating second half showing yesterday to pick up a 34-14 victory at Cougar Park and end North Wales Crusaders’ seven game winning streak.

On the club’s family fun day, the biggest crowd of the season of 1,327 packed into the ground to see Rhys Lovegrove’s side secure their place in the League One play-offs.

And on the day the club unveiled the Captain Sir Tom Moore gates, they showed the spirit instilled into the country by Sir Tom last year.

The only real scoring chance of the game’s early proceedings saw the Crusaders surrender a four pointer as Gav Rodden was penalised for crossing near to the line.

Keighley’s first opportunity came through Con Mika, as the forward marauded to the line, only to be held short by valiant North Wales defence.

Warren Thompson would step through a gap with line wide open, but he was denied touching down for the visitors as a result of an outstanding last-ditch tackle from Mika.

With completion rates and errors low, openings were few and far between.

Taylor Prell did touch down in the corner, but his effort was disallowed as Rob Massam managed to take a foot into touch.

From the restart, the visitors broke the line and found the precious opening score.

Massam created a two-on-one advantage and offloaded to the supporting Rodden to race over the line.

Tommy Johnson added the extras.

The Crusaders extended their lead further shortly after the half hour mark, as Johnson took the two points on offer after the home side were penalised near to their own line for offside.

Despite being on the back front, Cougars did score before the interval, as Scott Murrell marked his birthday with a sublime chip over the top that he raced on to.

He bundled over the try line with the ball to make sure his side were still in the game.

The second half began with ill-discipline from the hosts, and they were punished accordingly.

Following consecutive penalties, Brad Brennan powered through to turn and score.

But it was ill-discipline from the visitors that allowed Keighley back into the contest.

On the back of a late shot on Murrell, the home side opted to take the tap, allowing Jake Webster the opportunity to force his way over from close range.

The Webster try sparked life back into the Cougars and they began to roll their opposition up the slope, taking the lead through two quickfire tries.

Jack Miller opted to kick early, and a wicked bounce of the ball forced a howler from Johnson, as he allowed the ball to go past him, with the onrushing Prell quickest to react and touch down.

The boot of Murrell then caused problems for the Crusaders, as a deflection off Matt Reid saw a set restart and Quentin Laulu-Togaga’e exposed a gap to find a way over.

Now on a roll, Keighley did not take their foot of the pedal.

Alix Stephenson was next to cross, scoring his first try for the club by stepping inside off the wing and leaving three men in his wake on his way to the line.

And the home side put the icing on the cake as Dan Parker crossed in the game’s final minute, exposing a tired North Wales defence to dive over after Prell was denied once again by Massam.