THACKLEY produced the standout result on the opening day of the Northern Counties East League Premier Division season, drawing a topsy-turvy encounter 4-4 at home to Goole.

The Dennyboys recovered from going 2-0 down midway through the first half to go 4-2 up with 20 minutes to go, but were eventually pegged back.

Kieran Haigh hit the bar for the hosts early on, but a Liam Parker brace put Goole in control.

Thackley player-manager Pat McGuire crossed in a free-kick for Haigh to nod home, before Ben Grech-Brooksbank converted Kris Hargreaves’ knock back to level.

Albert Ibrahimi was causing all sorts of problems for the Goole defence, and he fired one into the top corner on the hour mark to give Thackley the lead.

Grech-Brooksbank gave the Dennyboys a two-goal buffer with a neat finish after McGuire’s corner was only half-cleared.

Jordan Emery and Callum McEwan drew Goole level, and although the former was sent off late on for bringing Jahro Parchment down when he was through on goal, the visitors held on for a point.

At Eccleshill, Luke Aldrich looked to have grabbed a late winner for Lee Elam’s men when he turned home a deflected Ben Bodle cross.

But Nicholas Guest converted a penalty in the dying moments to grab opponents Penistone Church a point.

Albion Sports played out a 0-0 draw with Grimsby Borough, while things were a bit more exciting in Silsden’s game at Handsworth.

Mitchell Dunne’s penalty put the hosts 1-0 up, before their skipper Thomas Roebuck headed home a corner to make it 2-0.

Jack Normanton halved the deficit on the hour mark, but Handsworth quickly restored their two-goal lead through Leon Howarth.

Normanton was then dismissed after being deemed to be at fault after a collision with the goalkeeper.

But 10-man Silsden dug deep and were rewarded when Joe Jagger scored a penalty to make it 3-2.

An end to end final 10 minutes ensued, but it was Handsworth who got their rewards, as Dunne netted his second in injury-time to make it 4-2.

Campion have switched leagues for this season, and are now in the North West Counties League First Division North.

They started off their campaign with a disappointing 3-2 defeat at Garstang.

The hosts took a two-goal lead through Joseph Noblet and Corey Harrison, but Thomas Robinson pulled one back midway through the second half with a superb long-range strike.

Noblet’s second put Garstang in control, with Mark Robinson’s late header from a Nicky Boshell corner merely a consolation.

Ilkley Town’s first ever game in that division ended in a 4-2 defeat to Bury AFC.