Farsley 1, Histon 3

Farsley turned in a much-improved performance after their New Year's Day defeat at Halifax and even took the lead against a Histon side who beat Cambridge United in their holiday fixture.

But a double from the visitors midway through the first half put the skids under the Celts and they ended up with ten men after midfielder Amjad Iqbal was sent off for a second bookable offence 20 minutes from time.

Farsley broke the deadlock in the ninth minute after Iqbal was felled in the area and Stephen Downes rifled home the resulting penalty.

They should have doubled that advantage in the 17th minute but Damien Reeves screwed a shot wide with only the Histon keeper to beat.

The visitors equalised from a 23rd-minute corner, with Nathaniel Knight-Percival getting the final touch as the ball was swung in.

From the restart, Farsley lost possession and Histon poured forward. Celts keeper Tom Morgan did well to parry a shot from the counter-attack but Antonio Murray tucked the rebound home.

Deep into the second half, Iqbal was shown a second yellow card and ten minutes from time the Celts defence committed the cardinal sin of not playing to the whistle. The flag stayed down as the home side appealed for offside and Murray netted his second goal.

Farsley's midfield was boosted by the inclusion of Bantams player Craig Bentham, who was making his debut after signing a one-month loan deal, and such was his contribution that he was unfortunate to finish on the losing side.

Defender Mark Hotte also came in for his first game. He had joined the squad before the January transfer window but was not allowed to play until Saturday.

Match-day secretary and spokesman Alan Hirst said: "Craig had a very good debut and he gave us something extra.

"He ran out of steam a little in the last few minutes but that is because he hasn't been playing in the first team with City. He will be a great asset to us."

  • Start or join a debate on this issue in our on-line forum - Click here