KEIGHLEY Cougars continued their near impeccable home form with a 13-try beating of West Wales Raiders in a 70-12 victory.

The home side had been heavily disrupted in the final 48 hours leading up to the game through a positive covid test at training on Friday.

After examining a video of the previous night's training session, five players and a member of the coaching staff were identified as close contacts, meaning they were forced into self-isolation and missed not only Sunday's game but this weekend's trip to Coventry Bears.

Back to the on-field action and it was Jake Webster who opened the scoring in the third minute, powering his way over after good play from the home side on the back of a penalty.

Cougars found their second score through Dan Parker. He spotted a gap in the defensive line and raced through.

West Wales then put the restart out on the full, and Taylor Prell found the line after a lovely show and go from the resulting penalty on halfway.

The home side kept the scoreboard ticking over after Prell broke and offloaded to the supporting Jack Miller to dive over.

Josh Slingsby then stepped his marker from dummy half and raced 80 metres to touch down in the corner.

Quentin Laulu-Togaga’e was the beneficiary of a Jack Coventry break, taking the forward’s offload to go 50 metres and slide home beneath the crossbar.

West Wales managed to get themselves a try before half-time through Jamie Murphy.

The Raiders started the second half the brighter of the two sides and found themselves another try as Sam Herron powered over.

Keighley lost Robert Matamosi to a head injury following an assessment during the half-time interval.

Some good attacking play worked the ball to Prell, and he peeled off a defender to crash over for a second.

Parker then sealed his hat-trick with two quick fire tries, the second of which came off the back of a great father-son link up play from Quentin and Phoenix Laulu-Togaga’e

Ewan Badham was given his marching orders and Kieran Moran’s response landed himself in the sinbin.

The resulting penalty saw Aaron Levy, who recorded 39 tackles in defence, score with ease.

From the restart, Kesik broke the West Wales line before offloading to Miller to finish.

The father-son duo would link up once more as Phoenix broke down the right and eventually flicked the ball to dad Quentin, who scored in the corner.

Darley then completed the rout scoring his first try for the club.


COUGARS: Q Laulu-Togaga’e 7; Slingsby 6; Webster 6; Prell 7; Matamosi 6; Murrell 8; Miller 7; Bailey 6; Wright 7; Darley 7; Levy 7; Parker 8; Kesik 9. Subs: Coventry 8; Desmond-Walker 6; Moran 8; P Laulu-Togaga’e 7.


COUGARS: Tries: Webster (3); Parker (14, 56, 59); Prell (17, 51); Miller (23, 68); Slingsby (28); Q Laulu-Togaga’e (31, 76); Levy (65); Darley (79). Goals: Miller (9/13). Sin Bin: Moran (64 – Fighting)