DEREK Adams expects to have a “white hot” phone as he begins the process of forging City into promotion challengers.

The new Bantams boss has gone back to Scotland for a brief break after a whirlwind week which began with Wembley promotion for Morecambe and ended with signing a three-year deal at Valley Parade.

But Adams will certainly not be switching off for a few days as he gets his teeth into his latest job.

“He will have a bit of a rest but the rest will be in inverted commas,” said City chief executive Ryan Sparks. “I think the phone will be white hot.

“But he knows what he wants and the benefit is that he knows what he needs to get and I am not going to tell Derek how to build a promotion-winning squad.

“He doesn’t need a user manual and I am looking forward to seeing what happens in the next three to four weeks as we roll into pre-season.”

Adams met recruitment director Lee Turnbull on his first day at the club – and discussions on potential incomings are already well advanced.

Sparks added: “Lee was able to give Derek a lift in the first few hours, if you like, and we are on with it. We are well down the road (with recruitment).

“As I said publicly, I met Derek in December and we discussed our squad at length and it was a massive part of the interview as at the time.

“We discussed what would happen in January and even discussed the summer in terms of who would be released or whatever. But we also discussed players he would bring to the club.

“Don’t get me wrong, there has been a gamble in that and I have sat and waited for the best part of a month to appoint Derek and it could have changed.

“But there was an element of trust there and I made it clear to Morecambe a couple of weeks ago that I intended to make them an offer at the end of the season.

“I understand why they did not want to take that forward but they have been great.”

Meanwhile, Finn Cousin-Dawson made his international debut for Northern Ireland under-21s at the weekend.

City’s teenage defender, who has been with the Irish on a week-long training camp, played the full 90 minutes in a 3-2 friendly loss at Montrose.