KEIGHLEY Albion hosted Bramley Buffaloes in Round Two of Yorkshire Men’s Division One, with both sides eager to pick up the win having opened their league accounts with defeats.

And it was the visitors who emerged victorious, edging an error-strewn clash 6-4.

It was the final weekend of the RFL Covid restrictions, which prevented spectators from being present, although not many would have wanted to be on the sidelines for this game, as just five minutes before kick off, the heavens opened and the entire game was played in torrential rain.

The weather would ultimately dictate the afternoon and play a significant part in the contest, as following the Bramley kick-off the ball became as slippery as a bar of soap.

The opening five minutes were scrappy, as both teams struggled to adjust to the appalling conditions.

Bramley just edged the opening exchanges and began to challenge the Albion defence, but strong try line defence prevented them from crossing the whitewash.

As the rain beat down off the heavy surface, both sides struggled to complete sets, regularly exchanging possession.

From a Bramley error, Albion looked the most likely to break the deadlock, with a clever play down the right hand edge as Jacob Cox put centre Ben Whittaker through a gap.

However the promising attack was ended by an error, just 10 yards from the line.

More determined try-line defence keeping the Buffaloes at bay, before Ben Ellis and Jak Adams led the charge as the game became tense and aggressive.

With just five minutes left before the end of the half, Bramley were denied a certain try in the corner by a superb cover tackle from full back Connor Taylor.

After a scoreless first-half, Albion looked to attack straight from the off, and they soon got the opening try.

Stand-off Rob Spencer ran across the face of the defence before a neat kick to the corner found the hands of left winger Kieron Blakeley, who crossed for a try in the corner.

Ethan Lawrie was adjudged to have missed the conversion, despite the Albion bench claiming the ball had gone through the sticks.

From the Bramley kick-off, Albion made an error and the Buffaloes took advantage.

A try looked likely in the right hand corner, but a superb cover tackle from Blakeley prevented the score.

A line break down the middle then looked to have secured Bramley's first points of the afternoon, with just the full back to beat, however yet again, a knock on prevented a score.

Bramley threw everything at Keighley to get over the line, but good defence from Chris Spencer and big Sam Booker kept them off the scoresheet.

However, the pressure ultimately told, and one lapse in concentration on the line allowed Bramley to crash over for a converted score to make it 6-4.

An Albion knock on from a good position ended the opportunity for a potential chance to go back in front, before a forced error under the sticks following a strong tackle prevented Bramley from sealing the game.

Keighley had one last throw of the dice to snatch a victory.

They worked the set to the last tackle where a jinking run from Spencer looked to release Ben Ellis on a half break, but an offload out of the tackle to unmarked Whittaker on the right wing went to ground.

A frustrating afternoon for Albion, who have now lost by very narrow margins in three of their games in 2021 so far.

Focus now turns to next week's game away to King Cross Park, in search of that first competitive victory of the season.

In the Yorkshire Men's League Division Five West, Albion's reserves continued their unbeaten start with an impressive 30-14 win over Birkenshaw Blue Dogs

Tries from Adam Gaunt, Finn Meegan, Col Pickles, John Gibson, Andy Hayes, Joe Dearnley - with conversions from Meegan and Pickles - sealed a convincing win.