AS far as the FA Cup is concerned in the city of Bradford, the golden period between 1910 and 1920, where City lifted the famous trophy and reached a further three quarter-finals, and the underdog runs of 76' and 15' are most fondly remembered. What is not talked about near enough is neighbours Avenue's achievements.

Last eight defeats to Aston Villa (5-0 in 1912-13) and at Chelsea (4-1 in 1919-20), the season the city remarkably had two teams at the stage, were followed by an incredible adventure in 1945-46. Tomorrow marks the 75-year anniversary since that stunning run ended in a painful hammering at St Andrew's.

With no league campaign due to the World War Two ending that year, Bradford could put all their eggs into the one basket.

And for the first time in the tournament's 65-year history, each 'proper' round up until the semi-finals was two-legged.

The Division Two side were delighted to have both Ron Greenwood and Jackie Gibbons signed up in time, bearing in mind no guest players would be allowed in the competition.

Ex-England manager Greenwood, who had previously guested at Park Avenue while still on Chelsea’s books, joined Bradford in December 1945, the fee paid being a new club record.

Fred Emery's men began in the third round and opened by edging Division Three South Port Vale.

Taking a 2-1 lead over to the Old Recreation Ground meant Avenue had something to hold onto, and they duly did, putting aside a penalty appeal and late goal, which was ruled offside, to gain a 1-1 draw.

By the end of January, Avenue were hosting Manchester City. Not as feared as they are today, their Lancashire league rivals pulled off a 3-1 win, courtesy of a George Smith double and Alec Heard netting.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus:

Upon travelling to Maine Road, a heavy snowstorm on the Pennines delayed the arrival of the team coach. Although the pitch was partly under water, the impending goal fest was not halted.

Richard Dix and Gibbons quickly drew their side level on aggregate by blasting past Frank Swift. Then Jimmy Constantine put City ahead going into the break.

The onrushing blizzard was not just present in the air but in the goals department for Avenue in the second half.

Len Shackleton nicely teed up Gibbons to level matters again only three minutes in before the centre forward grabbed his hat trick, heading home Dix's cross, and a fourth when Bert Knott slipped him through.

With 25 minutes remaining on the clock, Knott, Arthur Farrell, and Dix added further damage, while Smith pulled back a pitiful consolation.

To put it into context, the Citizens were crowned Division Two champions when league football resumed, so it was some statement to stuff them 8-2.

A Yorkshire derby was up next against Barnsley. A strike from Shackleton at Oakwell gave Bradford a 1-0 advantage in front of the 37,770 crowd.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus:

At Park Avenue, the gates opened at 12.45pm and shut at 2.05pm with 29,341 spectators packed inside. Gibbons scored in the 1-1 draw.

Emery's enforcers had made it to the quarters, 26 years since their last showing. A third league foe stood between them and a last four tie with eventual winners Derby County.

Unfortunately, the round of fixtures will forever be marred by the atrocious disaster at Bolton Wanderers' Burnden Park. 33 died as a result of the tragic human crush which occurred during their second leg against Stoke City.

Avenue's clash with Birmingham City attracted the BBC, who produced live commentary of the second half.

On a bone hard and slippery surface, the teams fought out a 2-2 draw. Bill Hallard and Dix were on the scoresheet for the hosts and Neil Dougall and Wilson Jones bagged for the Blues.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus:

The extremely cold weather restricted the Park Avenue attendance to 19,732, with many supporters clearly deciding to stay indoors and tune into their radios.

A patched-up Bradford never really stood a chance in the return leg. City had won every home game that season and weren't prepared to let that record go.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus:

Ahead after three minutes, it was a procession for Harry Storer's side. Four second half goals underlined Birmingham’s superiority as braces from Dougall, Harold Bodle, and Jock Mulraney handed them a 6-0 win.

It was later discovered that Shackleton had played with a dislocated shoulder, and unknowingly, Dix had a broken fibula, which subsequently side-lined him for six weeks.

Three quarters of a century on, it is important to recall the Bantams are not the only ones in the city to have enjoyed success in England's premium domestic competition.