GUISELEY slipped to a disappointing 1-0 defeat at Chester in the National League North last night, failing to take advantage when the hosts went down to 10 men.

It was a game full of chances, but the only goal came in the fifth minute, through a Kevin Roberts header.

Guiseley had a fantastic chance to get back into it when Simon Grand was shown a straight red card for a professional foul on Kaine Felix after 67 minutes.

But it was a tame last 25 minutes or so for the Lions, who failed to create any more clearcut chances, meaning they stay down in 20th.

Joint-manager Marcus Bignot was not impressed, saying: “Many would have come away saying we had done well, competed, and were in the game to the very last whistle, but there is a sense of disappointment and realisation after the game that we are so near yet so far.

“For however good Chester were or we were to stay in the game for so long, the bottom line is we have lost 1-0 and the goal came from a set piece so I’m really disappointed.

“It was a mismatch, we had the dominance in that one-on-one duel and haven’t come out on top. Those are the fine lines but the harsh reality of this level.

“It should be us who are a threat on set pieces, but we didn’t look like that all night.

“A strength of Chester is coming out and playing expansive, you look to hit them on the counter attack and transitions so sometimes the 10 men goes against you.

“But it was disappointing that we never worked the keeper enough in that last 20 minutes. It has been a theme of ours and is something we have got to address. We don’t work keepers enough in football matches.

“Overall, it is an eye opener about what this league is about and what is required in terms of winning football matches.”

It was a fast start to the game, with Guiseley defender John Lufudu seeing a deflected shot strike the post, before his fellow full-back George Cantrill did superbly to clear a Brad Bauress effort off the line.

But the Lions switched off defensively a minute later, as Roberts found space from a corner and put Chester in front with a free header.

Milan Butterfield's fine long range effort forced a good save from home keeper Louis Gray, before his opposite number Brad Wade was called into action, preventing Anthony Dudley's header from giving Chester a 2-0 lead.

Felix thought he had equalised on 27 minutes, but his half-volley from close range was superbly cleared off the line by Connor Taylor.

The game calmed down after that frantic opening half-hour, and it was Chester who went into the break with a narrow advantage.

Guiseley started well after the interval, with Lufudu's low ball in finding Lebrun Mbeka, whose poke towards goal was well saved by the feet of Gray.

On the hour mark, Felix did superbly down the right before crossing in for Jonathan Wafula, but his header dropped agonisingly wide.

And when Grand was dismissed for hauling down Felix when he was through on goal soon after, Guiseley must have felt the game was there for the taking.

But Josh Parsons saw the resulting free-kick on the edge of the box blocked by the wall, and other than a weak shot by Wafula straight at Gray, they created little, despite the one-man advantage.

Chester went second with the victory, but Guiseley are in dire straits, and face a huge away game at The Citadel against West Yorkshire rivals Farsley Celtic on Saturday.

That clash has been rearranged after a New Year's Day postponement, with the Lions desperate for a win to ease their relegation fears.