A FIRST half strike from youngster Josh King consigned the Lions to end 2020 in defeat, as the 10 men were conquered on their final ever visit to Bootham Crescent.

After conceding in the 27th minute, Isaac Currie's dismissal did not help matters as the match petered out for a comfortable home win.

Guiseley's second defeat in three games sees them slip to 20th in the table with only goal difference separating them from relegation-placed Alfreton Town.

Meanwhile, York continue to be heavily involved in the playoff race after making up for their blip at Bradford (Park Avenue) by grasping their fourth victory in six.

Marcus Bignot and Russ O'Neill's side are next in action on New Year's day against a Farsley Celtic side who they drew 2-2 with on Boxing Day, as the week of Yorkshire derbies reaches its conclusion.

Bignot reflected on the defeat, saying: “First half we had a game plan and I think we should be happy we were in the game at the break in terms of the scoreline.

"When you think about the quality of York and what they possess, I thought we controlled that. So to concede that goal in the manner we did was obviously disappointing.

“Sean Newton put in an excellent delivery but I even think he’s scuffed it. The player who scored has just come into the team and didn’t really think much about it. I don’t think it was one from the training ground, but they’ll be happy that it’s gone in.

"If you look at the two games, even though we were 2-1 down against Farsley, I think it should have been game over in all honesty.

"But I thought it was different this time, we were in a game as well as the scoreline. We knew we had more in us, in terms of physicality, in the second half.”

It took almost 25 minutes before York had their first sniff at goal. A teasing Olly Dyson cross was volleyed towards goal by former Lion Jake Cassidy, but Brad Wade acrobatically kept it out.

However, the Minstermen had their breakthrough in controversial fashion, as the referee awarded them a questionable free-kick. It was sent in low from Newton and stabbed home by defender King at Wade’s near post.

Jack Redshaw carried the ball past two Guiseley defenders, but his eventual effort was smothered by the keeper.

Wade was once again forced into action, as a threaded ball from Newton through to Dyson was thwarted by his legs.

Guiseley’s task was made even harder when they received their second red card in three games. Isaac Currie was given another yellow after a recklessly late challenge.

City came within inches of doubling their lead and capitalising on the man advantage. Cassidy raced through on goal but his dismal effort was bundled wide.

The visitors had their first real chance in the final minutes of the game when an enticing Josh Parsons free kick met the head of skipper Hamza Bencherif. Although the former York man’s header was diverted over the bar.

Gabriel Ramsey