AN audacious first half finish from Kaine Felix and a late sucker punch from Adam Haw was enough to down Chorley 2-0 and put Guiseley into the third round of the FA Trophy.

Marcus Bignot and Russ O’Neill made four changes from the Lions’ National League North win against Southport on Saturday, as Isaac Currie, Gabriel Johnson, Prince Ekpolo and Brad Nicholson all came into the starting eleven.

Their opponents, Chorley, were unbeaten in their last nine outings, including victories over Peterborough United and Wigan Athletic in the FA Cup.

However, despite their impressive form, the Magpies are just two points ahead of the Lions in the league table and came off second best against them last night.

O’Neill admitted he was pleased with his side’s performance, saying: “A clean sheet, two goals, we’ve not picked any more injuries up, and we now have a mouth-watering tie away at Stockport on Saturday.

“It was a good evening’s work and we look forward to the next round.

“Both teams made changes to the starting line-up, we’ve got minutes in for players who haven’t been playing, and we’ve come through unscathed, which is a big thing.”

Guiseley nearly took an early lead, as a long throw was flicked into the path of Lebrun Mbeka, but his poke towards goal was smothered by Matt Urwin.

Felix was next to have a sniff of goal, as he pounced on poor control from Tyler Garratt, but his strike was parried.

Half an hour in and Guiseley did find their breakthrough, as an outstanding switched ball from Milan Butterfield found Currie in space on the wing.

His ball to Felix was audaciously chipped home by the talented forward, though whether he meant it is up for discussion.

Heading into the second half and Felix continued to traumatise the Chorley defence, but this time his effort was harmlessly blasted over.

The Lions continued their dominant display, as Nicholson’s powerful strike was thwarted by Urwin from close range.

However, in the dying minutes, Chorley finally began to pile on the pressure and sent Urwin up for a dangerously positioned free-kick.

But Ekpolo retrieved possession and drove out of defence, before threading the ball through to youth graduate Haw, who calmly slotted the ball into the empty net.

Guiseley next face National League opposition Stockport County in the FA Trophy Third Round, this Saturday at Edgeley Park. The game kicks off at 3pm and will be behind closed doors.

In other club news, young striker Kian Harratt has left the Lions, as he has been recalled by parent side Huddersfield Town after just six appearances.