YOU could have forgiven Liversedge for feeling an impending sense of doom when the Northern Counties East League Premier Division season was suspended for a month due to the new national lockdown.

They were in sensational form at the start of 2020, and looked set to gain promotion to the Northern Premier League, but then last season was declared null and void when the coronavirus pandemic struck in March.

And they have made a brilliant beginning to this campaign too, cruising into the FA Vase Second Round and sitting second in the league with six wins from six.

But manager Jonathan Rimmington is feeling positive and is confident this season will be completed, even if it extends deep into next summer.

He said: "I do think they'll make us play to a conclusion, even if it takes us into July, as I think the country will have a grip on coronavirus by then.

"Hopefully the vaccine that's been talked about this week is effective.

"I spoke to someone at the West Riding FA and they do think we'll be able to start again on December 5, as planned.

"My lads are prepared for the restart anyway. We've got them training using Strava most days and I've even done my bit.

"I've been out on my bike, done some boxing and gone for long walks. If I can do it, the players definitely can."

Pressed on that July date, given many footballers at this level look to play sports like cricket in the summer months, Rimmington said: "It's not really an issue for us at least, as I think most of the lads are football-mad.

"They're all contracted to us, so we'd hope the FA would extend those contracts beyond the usual end of the season.

"As far as I'm aware, the top three will all go up automatically this year, which we're confident of finishing in."

Sedge's last game before the new lockdown was a superb 5-2 home win over Newcastle Benfield in the FA Vase First Round.

Rimmington was proud of his side's efforts, especially in the second half, where they roared back to overturn a 2-1 deficit in the last 30 minutes.

He said: "We were very strong, and just overpowered them in the end.

"I overheard their team talk and they were talking about how we couldn't hurt them as they felt we had no pace. I thought that was a bit rich given they had a 43-year-old up front.

"They were 2-1 up, but then we just completely ran the game from 50 to 90 minutes.

"To be fair, we should have been three goals up before the break, but they equalised with a great goal right on half-time and it knocked us a bit.

"But I don't think we have much to be frightened of from anyone the way we're playing at the moment."