IT was a dreadful weekend for our clubs in the FA Vase Second Round Qualifying, with Thackley, Campion and Silsden all losing, but there was some much welcome respite for Eccleshill United.

They had lost all of their competitive games so far this season, and with star defenders Sam Bradley and Aran Basi departing, as well as Liversedge boss Jonathan Rimmington claiming he felt the club would struggle this season, the Eagles' backs were against the wall somewhat.

But they did their talking on the pitch on Saturday, recording a fine 2-0 win at Knaresborough Town in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division.

Luke Aldrich and Jonny Irving went close for Eccleshill early on, before the latter combined well with Sumaili Cissa, who put the visitors in front with a lovely curling finish into the bottom corner.

Aldrich nearly added to Cissa's opener just before half-time but sent his shot wide.

Knaresborough's second half started terribly, with a couple of injuries and a red card.

Irving then forced the home goalkeeper into a good save, before Town went down to nine when they had a player sin-binned.

And Eccleshill took full advantage in stoppage time, with substitute Alex Barnes latching on to Irving's through ball to seal the win with a near post finish.

Thackley had a golden chance to get through to the next round of the FA Vase, after being drawn at home to NCEL Division One side Harrogate Railway Athletic.

But a poor start saw them pay, with Railway's Joseph Crosby scoring the only goal of the game after 10 minutes.

Unimpressed boss Pat McGuire, posting on Twitter after the game, fumed: "Some of our lot need to look (at) themselves in the mirror and think about what they want to achieve in football."

But at least they only conceded one goal. Campion were crushed 4-0 at home to Northern League side Sunderland Ryhope CW.

It was a tight first half, but the visitors netted a crucial goal just before half-time, before running away with things after the break.

Despite a lovely Khurram Shazad finish, Silsden found themselves 3-1 down at the break at home to Ryhope's fellow Northern League outfit Guisborough Town.

Guisborough raced into a 5-1 lead, before one of their men was shown a straight red card with 15 minutes left.

That at least allowed Silsden to make the scoreline look respectable, with late goals from Shazad and Joe Mitchell ensuring the game ended 5-3 in Town's favour.

Liversedge are still in the FA Vase, with their home tie against Ashton Athletic being played next week due to an outbreak of Covid-19 in the visitors' squad.

The winners of that clash will host Newcastle Benfield in the next round on October 31.

Albion Sports were without a game, as were Steeton in the North West Counties League First Division North.

Brighouse did play on Saturday, suffering a 5-2 home defeat to City of Liverpool in the Northern Premier League North West Division.

Brig's goals came courtesy of Kurt Harris and Javelle Clarke, while they also saw Tom Haigh dismissed for a second bookable offence.

Town have the chance to bounce back quickly tonight, when they host Dunston.

Liversedge and Silsden are both in league action tomorrow. The former visit Athersley Recreation, while the latter host Knaresborough.

Albion are at home to Penistone Church the following night, while Thackley and Eccleshill are away to Bottesford Town and Handsworth respectively.

Campion's match on Wednesday sees them entertain Swallownest.