IT was a bad weekend for our clubs in the FA Cup preliminary round, with everyone losing, some more narrowly than others.

Albion Sports had played well in their extra preliminary round clash at Campion, but were indebted to a last minute penalty miss from the home side's Sean Hunter, as they won that game 1-0.

And their luck ran out on Saturday, as they slid to a 2-0 defeat at Runcorn Linnets.

It was always going to be a tough game against strong opposition, and first half strikes from Joe Nolan and Craig Lindfield saw the Linnets through to the next round.

Another team who left Runcorn licking their wounds were Brighouse Town.

They took on Runcorn Town, who had beaten Thackley 2-1 in the extra preliminary round.

Visitors Brighouse must have thought the game had swung decisively in their favour when an Eddie Church goal for them in the 74th minute was followed by a red card for the hosts' Joe Holt barely 60 seconds later.

But Aidan Roxburgh equalised for Runcorn in the 78th minute, ensuring the game finished 1-1.

The game went straight to penalties, and Runcorn won the shootout 5-4, with poor Church missing the decisive penalty.

That game went right to the wire, unlike Silsden's home FA Cup clash with Bootle.

Despite a fine Leon Hurles-Brook strike, the Cobbydalers found themselves 3-1 behind at the break, even though the visitors had seen their skipper Liam Loughlin sent off.

A Khurram Shazad strike just after the break pulled the hosts back to within one, but Bootle took advantage of Silsden's shoddy defending to run out 5-2 winners, despite going down to nine men late on when hat-trick hero Tom Petersen was sent off.

There were plenty of friendlies at the weekend too.

Thackley and Steeton drew 2-2 at Dennyfield. The hosts opened the scoring through Ray Sibanda, just before the half hour mark, but the visitors were ahead by half-time thanks to goals from Jake Townsend and Ben Wignall.

Lewis Waddington ensured the game ended honours even though, as he equalised for Thackley halfway through the second half.

Campion also managed a 2-2 draw. They were away at Goole AFC, and took the lead through Sean Hunter.

But Goole hit back through Jason Kitchen and Joe Tasker to take the lead, before Campion equalised late on courtesy of Jordan Byrne.

Eccleshill suffered a disappointing defeat though. They were blown away early on at Emley AFC, finding themselves 3-0 down inside 22 minutes, thanks to a James Eyles double and an Aiden Savory strike.

It was a much better second half from the Eagles, who at least grabbed themselves a consolation courtesy of Mohamed Aralee.