THE man who is responsible for scoring Bradford (Park Avenue)'s final Football League goal, Danny Campbell has died at the age of 76.

The defender moved to Park Avenue in the final months of the 1969-70 Fourth Division season, where failure in re-election resulted in relegation. He netted in the 4-2 defeat at Aldershot in April 1970.

Campbell remained at the the club as they entered the Northern Premier League, but Avenue's demise was later confirmed when they went into liquidation.

After being diagnosed with Covid-19, only 10 days before his death, he died from a pulmonary embolism on August 16.

The Oldham-born player was a talented schoolboy athlete, representing Manchester Schools at football and Lancashire Schools at cricket, even having a trial with Lancashire CCC in 1965.

He started his football career as an amateur at Droylsden before signing for West Bromwich Albion in January 1961.

Campbell became a professional the following year, but had to wait until 1965 to make his first team bow for The Baggies.

Remarkably, his debut came in the first leg of the Football League Cup final against West Ham at Upton Park. He collected a medal when Albion eventually won the tie 5-3.

In the course of seven seasons at The Hawthorns, his route to more appearances was blocked by ex-Burnley centre half John Talbut (who poignantly also died only two days before Campbell).

He made only 11 first team appearances in total for the West Midlands club, before joining a host of English players who moved to America to become part of the North America Soccer League.

He went to Los Angeles, where he played 32 times for the LA Wolves in 1968. The franchise folded at the end of the season and he returned to his native country.

A trial at Stockport County, who were on the search for centre halves to replace their championship pairing of Matt Woods and Eddie Stuart, followed.

Campbell signed for County and made his debut in the Third Division against Mansfield Town in February 1969.

The highlight of his 15 games that season was scoring for the Hatters in a 2-1 win against Swindon Town, the week before Town beat Arsenal at Wembley in the League Cup final.

The centre back then suffered his first relegation as Stockport dropped down to the Fourth Division. He left Edgeley Park in March 1970, having made a total of 36 appearances.

After Campbell's dismal spell in West Yorkshire, he moved out to South Africa starring for Port Elizabeth City until his retirement in 1975. He remained in that part of the world for the rest of his life.

Stockport County issued this statement: "An honest, hardworking centre half, described as “perceptive in the tackle”, he travelled the world playing football, and is remembered fondly at Edgeley Park for the part he played in the history of our club.

"We send our sincere condolences to his wife Isabel and three children – Glenn, Danielle and Collette, and two grandchildren."