IN the penultimate chapter in our re-watch series, where I look back at the greatest bouts involving Bradford fighters, it's finally time for the 'Viper'.

Bobby Vanzie's boxing career was full of near misses and unfulfilled promises.

After a successful ten-year amateur career, which included two junior ABAs and a National Boys Club title, he went on to dominate the domestic pro 9st 9lb scene for half a decade, capturing and defending British and Commonwealth honours.

The boxing business would stand in his way though, as he was denied a chance at European glory. Three times his scheduled bout for the vacant title with the Italian Sandro Casamonica was called off.

Couple that with missing out on British clashes with the likes of Billy Schwer, Michael Ayres and Colin Dunn, and Vanzie became the chairman of the who needs me club.

A dodgy decision in the Graham Earl rematch, where he was trying to avenge his previous loss, really rubbed salt in the wound.

It wasn't always like this for the Bradfordian. Victories early on in his career proved he was capable to commence a charge to the top of the game.

One particular fiery encounter with an undefeated star from Camden Town was especially impressive.

When the name Stephen Smith is mentioned, boxing fanatics will point back to that strange night in the M.E.N. Arena when he was disqualified against WBU light welterweight champion Ricky Hatton. It occurred after father and trainer Darkie stormed into the ring to manhandle referee Mickey Vann, who he thought should have penalised Hatton for an alleged elbow.

Flashback, just over two years before that odd contest and the Londoner was eager to take Vanzie's prized assets. As for the West Yorkshireman, a third successful defence of the British meant he would keep hold of the coveted Lonsdale belt.

Despite starting his career out in Germany, the fight effectively took place in the challenger's back garden, the Elephant & Castle Centre in Southwark.

In what was fourth v fifth in the provisional British lightweight rankings, it was the latter that started the better. Vanzie steamed out of the corner, immediately wanting to make a statement, but looked foolish.

After suffering an early cut from a head clash, the away boxer was getting outclassed by Smith's conventional style.

The Godfrey Brown-trained fighter showed the opposite of what had got him this far by reverting back to his old brawling amateur style, swinging wildly and ultimately stupidly.

It appeared like Vanzie, the naturally bigger man after originally beginning his career at light welterweight, was trying to use his strength against the ex-featherweight.

This reckless and disjointed performance was a feature throughout the opening rounds. He even got a point taken off him in the fourth for holding too much.

In the fifth and sixth, the former fork lift driver got back to his boxing, keeping it at longer range to frustrate Smith.

The 24-0 home fighter had never been the distance and this was becoming evident. Vanzie damaged Smith's body from a deemed low blow in the eighth.

A third debatable false knockdown a round later, wetted Vanzie's appetite. He needed to jump on his fellow 26-year-old and he did in deadly fashion.

As soon as Smith regained his feet, the champion was prepped, ready to unload, pinning his victim on the ropes before referee Terry O'Connor stepped in to stop the onslaught.

"I went through hell and back in there", Vanzie told Sky Sports' Adam Smith post fight.

A few defences of his commonwealth title followed before he suffered his first defeat at the hands of Ghanaian James Armah. Ambitions of further glory were still there though, until he was knocked out by future European champion Yuri Ramanau.

The Earl defeats were the eventual nails in the coffin for Vanzie who hung up his gloves in 2004 at the tender age of 31, in search for peace as a Jehovah's Witness.

In recent years, the 'Viper' has returned to the sport in a different capacity, and he opened his own gym on Leeds Road earlier this year.