FOR the finale to the My City team-mates series, we look at those who lifted the FA Cup for the only time in the club’s history.

Club author and historian John Dewhirst looks back at arguably the best-ever side, winning the cup and finishing fifth in Division One in 1911.



Signed from Sheffield United in 1909, Mark Mellors had made a name for himself in the final game of the 1908/09 season when City had to defeat Manchester United at Valley Parade to avoid relegation from Division One.

His heroics played a big part in securing a 1-0 victory. He only became a regular in the side after December 1910 and conceded just one goal during the entire FA Cup campaign. He retired in 1915 having made 82 appearances.



A Scot who joined City in 1906 from Millwall and had been a member of the Division Two championship-winning side of 1907/08.

He provided a commanding presence as right back, weighing 13 stone, and it was the side's defensive strength that provided the basis of success. He played 247 league and cup games for City.



Taylor was another Scot who signed for City from Rangers in October 1910 before leaving for Burnley 14 months later.

He became a big favourite at Turf Moor as a member of that club's FA Cup winning team in 1914 and Division One championship squad in 1920/21.

Taylor was considered one of the fastest players of his age and having joined City as a half-back later moved to left back where he was considered better suited.

He discovered that manager Peter O'Rourke was uncompromising in response to players demanding higher wages but the 'four figure fee' was considered good business with Cleckheaton-born Irvine Boocock earmarked as his replacement.



A member of the City team in the club's first ever league game on September 1, 1903, George Robinson made a total of 377 league and cup appearances and after retiring at the end of World War One served as trainer until 1922.



Scottish-born centre half Gildea, signed in February 1911, was one of the heaviest players in the team at 12 and a half stone.

He was replaced in the FA Cup Final replay by Bob Torrance and his appearance at Crystal Palace proved to be his final one for the club, one of only 10 in the league and cup.

Gildea was the first of the 1911 FA Cup winners to be sold, with Torrance identified as the preferred option at the centre of defence. He was signed by Birmingham City in September 1911 for just under £1,000.



He replaced Gildea in the replay at Old Trafford and was described as having been man of the match.

Torrance joined City at the beginning of the 1908/09 season as a full-back but only became established in the side after his FA Cup heroics, continuing to play from then on at centre half.

He was killed on the western front at Ypres in April 1918 and is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial to the Missing.



Signed in April 1907 at the same time as Frank O'Rourke, McDonald was another survivor of the 1907/08 Division Two championship side.

He played 227 games for Bradford City prior to leaving Valley Parade in 1920.



Logan was another of the team’s Scottish brigade who signed from an Edinburgh amateur side.

He became one of the longest-serving players at Valley Parade, making 304 appearances between 1908-25 before serving as reserve trainer for a season.

The inside forward scored 43 league and cup goals for the club. His older brother Jimmy had played for City in 1905/06.



The captain and scorer of the winning goal at Old Trafford. Speirs was sold to Leeds City for a £1,200 fee that represented a then record for both sides.

The offer for the prolific scorer was too good for manager Peter O'Rourke to turn down to help finance team rebuilding.

However, his presence in the side was sorely missed and City were never able to build upon the achievements of 1910/11.

He scored 33 goals for City in total in 96 league and cup appearances.

Jimmy is also remembered as a war hero, awarded the military medal for bravery in May 1917. He was killed at Passchendale on August 10, 1917.