KEIGHLEY Cougars' Betfred League One campaign began with a disappointing 24-6 defeat at Workington Town.

It was a frustrating afternoon for Rhys Lovegrove’s side, who despite spending most of the game camped on the Workington line, lacked the killer instinct at crucial times.

The Cougars had early chances to break the deadlock but both Jake Webster and Dan Hawksworth were denied by outstanding Town line defence.

Workington then opened the scoring through Elliot Hall, the winger racing over in the corner after Carl Forber exposed a numbers advantage on the wing.

Town then extended their lead as Hall intercepted a Jack Miller pass out wide and raced 90 metres to score his second.

Keighley then tried to force their way onto the scoreboard, but Dan Parker was held up underneath the crossbar.

The final action of the first half saw the hosts extend their lead further, Hall completing his hat-trick by touching down after a Jamie Doran chip escaped the grasp of Miller.

The second half would turn out to be a nightmare for the Cougars.

From a short restart, Alex Young won the ball back and allowed Workington to work their way down the field, where Marcus O’Brien scooted over from close range.

Then from the kick-off, the Cougars conceded a penalty and Forber took advantage to create an overlap advantage and play Hall in for his fourth try.

Keighley came close to scoring through James Feather, but the hooker was held up over the line, before Prell knocked on two metres out, a reflection of the Cougars afternoon in Cumbria.

Workington then had three opportunities to extend their lead further, but Young was taken into touch by Macauley Hallett before Doran twice picked the wrong option with the line beckoning in front of him.

Elliot Miller thought he had extended the hosts' lead further, but the official ruled he knocked on in the build-up to the try.

The Cougars had the opportunity to make sure they weren’t 'nilled' but after Mo Agoro was stopped in his tracks by Tyler Lancaster and Hall prevented a Miller cross field kick from reaching Prell on the edge.

Keighley would avoid the zero on the scoreboard though, Jack Coventry powering his way over from close range in the final minute of the game.