SILSDEN pulled off a wonderful Wednesday night win at Toolstation Northern Counties East League Premier Division leaders Staveley Miners Welfare, as a Khurram Shazad double paved the way for a 3-1 win.

Shazad netted after 28 minutes to open the scoring, before fellow Cobbydalers attacker Laurence Sorhaindo made it two soon after.

Michael Burke gave Staveley hope with a 68th minute strike, but Shazad quickly extinguished any hope of a comeback from the hosts, as he scored again just six minutes later.

In an end to end opening, Shazad missed a couple of good chances, while Burke produced a glaring miss from six yards out.

Burke's strike partner Jon Froggatt had a couple of early shots deflected just wide too, and the leaders were made to pay for those missed opportunities.

Shazad, with arguably his most difficult chance yet, threaded a fine low shot into the bottom left corner from the edge of the box to open the scoring.

With Staveley still in a state of shellshock, Sorhaindo picked the ball up inside the 18 yard box, took it round the keeper and calmly rolled it into an empty net to double the visitors' lead.

Myles Foley missed a big chance to make it three before half-time, when he fired wide from an excellent Joe Mitchell free-kick.

In the second half, Silsden's Arley Barnes produced a thunderous strike, which brought out a fine save from the Staveley goalkeeper Myles Wright.

Wright kept the hosts in the game again with a good save from Jake Taylor-Mountford, from which they broke away for Burke to pull one back.

But Taylor-Mountford made up for that miss to help wrap the game up for Silsden.

After producing some brilliant play down the left, he played the ball across to Shazad, who fired home into the bottom corner to finish the game off once and for all.

The win keeps Silsden in 13th, but they are now level on points with Bradford district rivals Thackley and Eccleshill United.

After the game, delighted Cobbydalers manager Danny Forrest said: "We knew it was going to be tough, coming here against the league leaders, who've not lost many games at all this season.

"We came here with full respect but I always back our lads and the way we go about business. I always felt we could hurt them and cause problems and that's how it's panned out.

"We knew we'd have to keep it tight and work hard, especially early on in the game because they do start fast, and we managed to do that and probably took the sting out of them a little bit.

"Then we managed to get ourselves in the game and imposed ourselves a little bit."

Asked what message he had for his side at the break, Forrest said: "I asked for more of the same.

"We knew they'd come out in the second half and have a right go, but we weathered that and then we had a few more chances to put daylight between the two sides and go 3-0 up.

"But all of a sudden it's 2-1 and going into the last 20 minutes you're thinking it could be tough.

"But fair play, the lads have shown character again and the way they reacted after conceding, how brave and composed they were, was really pleasing.

"We managed to go 3-1 up with quarter of an hour left and I felt we probably deserved it (the win) really."