GUISELEY surrendered a two-goal half-time lead in a wind-affected game as Gateshead netted twice in the last five minutes to steal a point in a 2-2 draw in National League North.

Both clubs dropped one place after the stalemate at Nethermoor with the Lions and Heed being overtaken by local rivals.

A home win over Lee Clarke’s Blyth Spartans saw Farsley Celtic climb above Guiseley while a 5-0 win for Spennymoor United lifted them above north-east rivals Gateshead and into the play-off zone.

Guiseley had an excellent start as they broke the deadlock in the fifth minute. A flag kick from Gabby Johnson was cleared but the ball was played back out to Johnson and his cross was slotted in at the near post by Andrai Jones.

There was another early blow for Heed as striker Ruairi Keating went down following an innocuous looking clash. He was treated on the pitch but had to be helped off, being replaced by Mitch Curry.

The Lions then doubled their advantage in the 21st minute through leading scorer Aaron Martin. Heed’s keeper Brad James had done well to parry a good shot from Lee Shaw but he was beaten when Martin rifled in a low shot from close range.

An unsavoury incident soured the atmosphere later in the first half and led to the referee Kristian Silcock warning the game would be abandoned. The crowd were urging the official to get on with it as he paused the game to speak to players and captains and then approach the dugouts.

The game was held up for four minutes but there was a cheer and round of applause as an announcement revealed that the referee had been made aware of racial abuse from someone in the crowd and that Guiseley Football Club would not tolerate any kind of racial or discriminatory behaviour. Fortunately, the match passed without further incident.

It was a game of two halves though as Guiseley had the viciously strong wind behind them in the first half but struggled against it after the break.

The visitors had obviously been urged to shoot on sight and test home keeper Brad Wade - a test he stood up to as he was named man of the match by the home sponsors.

Former Guiseley forward Jordan Preston was one of the Heed players to chance his luck from distance, his effort dipping just over the angle of post and bar, but he was soon the villain as he picked up a yellow card for a foul on Guiseley’s Reiss McNally as the left back raced into the opponents' half.

As the clock ticked down it was one-way traffic with Gateshead forcing the Lions to defend deep. The comeback started with five minutes remaining when a deep cross was poked in by Greg Olley at the far post.

In the 90th minute Heed centre back Jake Cooper converted a diagonal cross with a towering header, which led to both sides going all out for a winner in the four minutes of time added on.

Guiseley’s joint manager Russ O’Neill said: “Let’s put things into perspective, we were up against a full-time team and the conditions were shocking for both teams.

“I thought we acquitted ourselves very well and although they had a lot of possession in the second half we got ourselves into a position where we should have won the game.

“We expected them to have a lot of possession and come on strong with the elements at their back but I thought we were a threat on the counter and their keeper made a great save to deny Aaron Martin at 2-0. If that goes in we’re three goals up and it’s game over.

“But whoever you’re playing, we can’t relinquish two-goal leads at home. I think there is one dressing room celebrating getting a point and another dressing room very disappointed to have only got a point.”