BRADFORD & Bingley stunned visiting Durham City in an extraordinary finish to their North One East clash, coming from seven points down with three minutes left on the clock to win 20-17.

The away side went in front after 25 minutes, after a penalty and James Coxon's try cancelled out Corey Spencer's early score for the Bees, and they extended that lead to 17-7 later in the half.

The Wagon Laners only made a slight dent in that gap, courtesy of a Lance Taylor penalty, but then sustained pressure led to them earning a penalty to the left of the posts after 77 minutes.

After a quick tap, Andy Smith surged forward and took a whack to the side of the head as he tried to burrow over.

This resulted in Durham's Josh Cotton receiving his marching orders and the referee having no choice but to award the penalty try.

That levelled the scores and the relieved home supporters seemed happy enough to settle for a draw.

However, as thoughts turned to adjourning to the clubhouse, the Bees continued to press and were rewarded with a penalty deep in Durham territory. Lance Taylor slotted the score to claim an unlikely looking win.

It was a surprise as the Bees were misfiring for long periods of the game, with the lineout being particularly disjointed throughout.

But Hugh Gumbs' side opened the game brightly enough and were soon on the front foot against a Durham side who had not won an away league game all season.

Debutant Andy Robinson looked to be marshalling the Bees backline effectively and following a period of pressure up the right hand side of the field, winger Cam Bainbridge ducked inside some poor cover tackling and put Spencer clear.

The young second rower gleefully galloped towards the whitewash, but lost his footing as he reached the line. Fortunately, he was able to turn a slip into an exaggerated leap over the whitewash to claim the score.

Taylor converted the try but then City stand off Coxon galloped clear to score in the 25th minute to put his side 10-7 ahead, adding to an earlier penalty for the North-East side.

Scrum-half Simon Ord was next to break away on 34 minutes. He scrambled over the line, and winger Sam Heron added the extras to put Durham deservedly 10 points in front.

The visitors held on to their lead for 52 minutes in total, although Taylor's penalty to end the half did bring the Bees to within seven.

Durham still looked likely to claim the victory, but it was not to be, after the high drama at the last.

The incredible comeback keeps B&B comfortably ensconced in eighth, a point behind Malton & Norton and three away from Scarborough. Durham remain down in 12th.