BAILDON completed the double over Wibsey with a 22-17 Yorkshire Three win at Jenny Lane which saw the visitors regain their pride despite defeat.

In the corresponding fixture earlier in the season, Wibsey lost their home match 38-18 in a display that was lacking in discipline.

There were moments when the visitors and, to a lesser degree, Baildon lost their self control in the return fixture.

However, Wibsey, who had scrum dominance, produced a much-improved performance where the result was in doubt until the end in a feisty derby where, bizarrely, the light seemed to improve as the afternoon wore on.

Wibsey's stand-in skipper Alex Cerson (Mark Darragh was injured) was honest enough to say afterwards: "We lost it because of a couple of bad reactions by us.

"We talk about discipline quite a lot and a couple of overturned penalties were key - one in a ruck where one of our lads over-reacted when a player came in from the side.

"I would have taken a scrum there and looked to build pressure in their 22, but I thought that we were the better team and left everything on the pitch.

"We are building in the right direction where discipline is concerned but tensions are going to be a bit high because it was a derby, and credit to the boys - I could not ask for anything more from them."

Wibsey's scrum was so dominant in the second half that some of their supporters were calling on referee Scott Houghton-Richards (South Yorkshire Society) to award them a penalty try late on when they trundled Baildon back at a rate of knots in the home 22.

Cerson added: "Our backs played well but our forwards played a blinder. We were strong as an eight and put a lot of pressure on their line-out, a lot of pressure on their scrum and won a few penalties.

"There was a case for a penalty try. We had some penalties in the corner and I kept asking for a repeat scrum. I did ask about penalties in the red zone and if we had had a couple more there might have been a case for it (a penalty try).

"I was also gutted about Robson Moore's missed penalty in the 64th minute which would have put us just two points down (22-20) but we played really well and got the best try of the match by Ryan Smith out of nowhere.

"He has quick feet and balance and can turn on a sixpence but although he won the official man-of-the-match award for us, I would not like to pick one from our 15 and would give it to everybody."

Baildon played uphill first and won a penalty in the opening minute which full back Jake Duxbury slotted for 3-0.

However, full back Smith glided through from his own half six minutes later to score a superb try with hardly a finger being laid upon him.

Baildon's coach Dave Duxbury criticised his team for being too slow but things got worse in the 15th minute when Wibsey scrum half Kyle Carter broke blind to score their second try, having been ruled held up with the same ploy just a minute earlier.

Robson Moore's second conversion was excellent from the left, giving Wibsey a 14-3 lead, but the chance of a third try went begging in the 21st minute when right winger Bruce Mpofu understandably could not catch a low Smith pass that was fired at his ankles after the hosts had had lock George Moore sin-binned.

Jake Duxbury then needed to produce a diving save to prevent Mpofu chasing his own kick through on the right, and a brilliant Elliott Cousins pass almost created something on the opposite flank.

Baildon had lost centre Harrison Strauss with a hamstring injury by now but got their first try in the 36th minute after a close-in effort by skipper Dan Cookson.

Duxbury missed a penalty in stoppage time but was more accurate three minutes into the second half with a conversion when fly half Tom Parnell nabbed an interception try from halfway.

Robson Moore's 49th-minute penalty nudged Wibsey 17-15 ahead but back came the hosts seven minutes later via a try by hooker Matty Dixon after more good work from Duxbury.

Wibsey's Moore then missed that penalty but it was now that their pack began to show clear superiority.

They were kept at arm's length, however, and Baildon completed a double over their city rivals to stay third while Wibsey remained 10th.

Cookson said: "It was a good strong battle between two evenly-matched sides. There were a few handbags but when both teams decided to play rugby they looked threatening.

"It could have gone either way but we stuck to our structure, we shared the workload and the gaps eventually appeared.

"The referee was determined to keep 30 players on the pitch, we have had a lovely day and raised money for (our former touch judge) Martin Peel via the Anthony Nolan Fund."