WIBSEY not only had to cope without their player-coach Andy Robinson, who has returned to Bradford Salem, but also a late change of pitch against Old Otliensians in a Yorkshire Division Three derby.

However, the Villagers produced one of their best displays of the season to prove that there is life after Robbo, winning 21-7.

Wibsey's chairman Steve Brooke said: "A big thanks goes to Rob Greenwood, Harry Hall and John Bradbury for preparing the squad in midweek, but then we had to switch the venue from Northfield Road to Beldon Lane on Saturday afternoon.

"There was a bit of standing water on the pitch at Northfield Road - we have played there on worse - but Otliensians' skipper refused to play on it so we had to take all the gear up to Beldon Lane and ended up kicking off ten minutes late.

"It was very foggy and the light at the end was very poor but we played fantastic overall, with one to 18 being committed."

The game had to be interrupted about eight times to remove dog faeces from the pitch but there was no stopping Wibsey's momentum.

They had first use of the slope and went ahead in the second minute via a try in the right-hand corner by fly-half Hall, with Kyle Carter knocking over an excellent conversion.

Six minutes later, man-of-the-match Scott Smith threw an outrageous dummy at the base of a ruck to go over by the posts, although Carter missed what should have been a simple conversion.

Otliensians then missed a penalty but Carter popped one over to make it 15-0.

The visitors, who had a player sin-binned for a professional foul on Ryan Smith, had a lot more possession in the second half but Wibsey's defence was spot on, and they extended their advantage via a Carter penalty in the 50th minute.

The light was fading badly and it became difficult to see either end of the pitch from the halfway line, but another Carter penalty in the 68th minute made it 21-0.

Otliensians at least managed a converted try inside the final 10 minutes, a period in which they dominated.