BRADFORD (Park Avenue) advanced to the first round proper of the FA Trophy after a fine 2-0 victory at Gloucester City.

Rock bottom of the Vanarama National League North table, Mark Bower's men will hope this welcome cup victory can boost their poor league form.

Goals from Isiah Bazeley and Alex Hurst ensured Avenue enjoyed their long trip back from Gloucestershire following their third qualifying round tie.

Reece Staunton, on loan from Bradford City, had a debut to remember for Avenue, commanding at the back and winning the man of the match award for the visitors at The Jubilee Stadium.

Despite a bright start, it was Gloucester who had the first chance of note. Myrie Williams was played through in the eighth minute and seemed to be through on goal, but he took one touch too many which allowed him to be closed down by Staunton.

But it was Avenue who took an early advantage eight minutes later.

A free-kick from Lewis Knight hit the post and the rebound found Bazeley who fired it home.

Avenue had another big chance in the 19th minute. Oli Johnson was played through at a tight angle but his shot was saved well by Will Henry.

Gloucester had the chance to equalise from the penalty spot in the 23rd minute.

Joe Green was judged to have connected with Marlon Jackson as he went for a header.

But Green subsequently saved the penalty from Joe Hanks before saving the header on the rebound.

A penalty appeal for Gloucester on 34 minutes fell on deaf ears and Joe Parker then received a yellow card after seemingly lashing out in anger at it not being given.

Staunton displayed his defensive skills six minutes from half-time when he prevented a goalscoring opportunity for Myrie-Williams.

Avenue had a big chance to double their lead six minutes into the second period when Andre Johnson was played through on goal and tried to lob Will Henry but his effort goes over the bar.

Gloucester came close to an equaliser on 63 minutes. Myriel-Williams attempted a speculative effort from around 20 yards out, the ball looked to be dipping in but hit the top of the crossbar.

But it was Avenue who took the spoils when they doubled their lead seven minutes from time. Hurst cut inside and slotted the ball into the net.

There was a big chance for the visitors five minutes from time when substitute Oli Johnson caught the Gloucester defence on the counter, but was thwarted by a good save from Henry.

Avenue will hope to transfer this good form in their next league game when they travel to Chester next Saturday.