CLECKHEATON slipped to a 27-17 defeat at Pocklington, who had previously recorded just two wins in North One East.

The injured Tom Austin was replaced by Brad Marsden for the visitors, with Gus Milborne was on the bench with Ben Thrower and Chris Piper.

The hosts went on the attack from the start, dominating the scrums, rucks and mauls. It came as no surprise when Cleckheaton conceded a penalty, giving Christian Pollack a simple kick at goal.

On 12 minutes Pocklington extended their lead when good support play led to a try for Richardson, converted by Pollack.

It didn't improve for the visitors when a promising move broke down and Pocklington swept downfield to score a pushover try and extend the lead to 15-0.

On 25 minutes Niall Jackson and Archie Rika Rayne were replaced by Piper and Thrower and this stabilised the scrum.

However, Pocklington got a third try through Pollack who strode through a huge gap in the defensive line while Ollie Depledge was having treatment. Pollack added the goal and the lead was considerable at 22-0.

Cleck finally got on the scoreboard just before half-time after winning line-out ball on the five-metre line. Ryan Piercy drove over for his third try of the season as the away side went in 22-5 down at the break.

Early in second half, Joey Carley left the field with an injury and Gus Milborne replaced him. When another catch and drive from the line-out made ground, Thrower crossed for his fifth try of the season, Breakwell adding the goal.

Referee Andy Baker suspended play on 58 minutes after Piercy suffered a serious ankle injury. The game continued on an adjacent pitch after a 15-minute delay as Piercy left the ground in an ambulance.

Cleckheaton were driving downfield with some purpose when Matt Piper had the ball stripped by a Pocklington forward who appeared off his feet on the blind side of the official. The counter-attack down the right led to a try in the corner.

In the melee that followed Tom Breakwell was sent to the sin bin but with eight minutes to go Pocklington led 27-12.

There was a glimmer of hope when Jack Marshall put James Wilson clear and he powered past the final defender for a fine try on 75 minutes to set up a grandstand finish.

In a tense finale, the Pocklington second row was yellow-carded to even the numbers up but Cleckheaton couldn't break through to get a fourth try and into bonus point range.