PROMOTION rivals Guiseley and Farsley Celtic remain in the National North play-off places but both slipped down one place after dropping points at home.

Guiseley faced a new club but a familiar face as Kettering Town, who gained promotion to the National League set-up last season, visited Nethermoor. The new manager of the Poppies is former Lions boss Paul Cox and it was his first away game in charge.

Cox will have gone home happy after his side bossed the game. The 2-1 scoreline looked close but the visitors were the better side throughout and the points were safe after Joel Carta scored a five-minute brace either side of the interval.

Carta finally broke the deadlock minutes before half-time and he found space in the Guiseley area in the first minute of the second half, as he placed a shot past Lions keeper Marcus Dewhurst.

The Poppies’ keeper Paul White made a handful of top drawer saves but he was denied a clean sheet by Guiseley’s leading scorer Aaron Martin as he headed in a consolation goal into stoppage time.

Lions’ joint manager Russ O’Neill said: “It was disappointing all round. From minute one to the 90th minute we just didn’t get going and it didn’t look like us.

“We pushed for an equaliser late on and I think if we had got one it would have been harsh on Kettering. We weren’t right and deserved to get beaten on the day. If you don’t turn up in the Conference North this happens.”

Guiseley are now seventh but are still in the play-off frame after Brackley Town were held to a draw and Alfreton Town lost.

Farsley are still one place above their neighbours after they dropped from fifth to sixth. The Celts were hosting Gloucester City, who were in 14th but were just three points worse off than Guiseley in the congested table.

Farsley took a first-minute lead but were soon pegged back as the Tigers held the Celts to a 1-1 draw.

An early tester from Farsley’s Jimmy Spencer proved to be too hot for Tigers’ keeper Will Henry, who is on loan from League Two outfit Swindon Town. The young stopper parried Spencer’s shot but that allowed Dave Syers to tuck the rebound home.

The visitors replied in the 17th minute as the Tigers’ skipper Sam Avery ghosted in at the far post to convert following a free-kick. The set-piece was headed on as it was delivered into the area and Avery had time to control the ball before slotting low into the corner of Kyle Trenerry’s net.