ALBION Sports and Silsden shared the points from a close and entertaining 3-3 derby clash at a dank and dismal Citadel.

The two clubs are just three points and five places apart in the Premier Division of the Northern Counties East League and there was little to choose between them as they battled through the conditions to deliver a good performance.

Aidan Kirby gave the Cobbydalers an early lead when he slotted into the bottom corner after being picked out be a superb through ball in the 11th minute.

The Albion Lions were level going into the break after a 43rd-minute equaliser, Cameron Lyn doing well before laying the ball back for Lamin Janneh to drill past Ben Higginson.

Sils keeper Higginson was beaten again on the other side of the interval and again by Janneh as the Albion man bagged his brace. Janneh was on hand to slide the ball in after Higginson could only parry a Luke Aldrich shot.

There were goals within minutes of each other either side of the hour mark as the game continued to flow from end to end.

The Sils were level when Arley Barnes converted Khurram Shazad’s deep corner with a back post header, but soon after, visiting skipper Josh Kaine slipped which allowed Aldrich to seize possession and slot past Higginson as he raced off his line.

Kirby was also to bag a brace, however, and his second came after a good counter attacking move down the left flank.

The ball was worked to Kirby and the forward still had a lot to do but excellent footwork from him carved out the opening and he picked his spot, side footing the ball past Smith.

Cobbydalers’ boss Danny Forrest was not happy with his side’s display. He said: “I thought we made a lot of errors and it cost us.

“The conditions didn’t help and that was always going to be a factor, but I thought we had a good first half and then dominated possession more in the second half. But we’ve given goals away through errors and that’s the frustrating part.

“They (Albion) haven’t had to work for their goals. They haven’t had to break us down we’ve just made mistakes, either individual or collective, which has handed them their chances."

His opposite number had a different view, Lions manager John Francis said: “It was a game that could have gone either way.

"We could have won it - they could have won it - in the end we’ve both got a point and I think that’s about right.

“Our lads worked hard and got in front a couple of times but they (Silsden) are a good side. A very good side that is well structured and they like to play through the thirds of the pitch which they did well.

“We like to play good football and I thought we did.

"You are never happy with a home draw but in those conditions anyone could make a mistake at any time so we will take a point and look forward to next week.”

The sides meet in the reverse fixture next Saturday and one thing both managers agree on is that it the first meeting was an excellent game in tough conditions and if the weather is kinder next weekend it should an ever better spectacle.