CLECKHEATON recorded a first away win at soggy Driffield, a 37-28 triumph, handing the North One East leaders a first home defeat.

Brad Marsden was unavailable for the visitors and team-mate Tom Lillicrop was making his first team debut on the bench.

Driffield got on the scoreboard on 11 minutes when they took advantage of Tom Austin being sent to the sin bin for a tackle crossing for try on the right, conversion missed 5-0.

It didn't get much better for Cleckheaton as, on 15 minutes, the Driffield No.8 was on hand to crash over for a second try which took the lead out to 12-0.

Cleckheaton got a foothold in Driffield territory and when Ryan Piercy won ball at a lineout, the maul rumbled forward and hooker Ben Thrower crashed over for his third try of the season. Dale Breakwell added the goal for 12-7.

On 27 minutes, Driffield added a third try when the No.6 crossed for a simple try but Watts screwed his kick wide for 17-7.

Tom Breakwell took a quick penalty and found Mike Hayward, who crossed for a try five metres in from touch, Breakwell added the goal. At half time it was anyone's game at 17-14.

On 45 minutes Watts found his range with a 40-metre penalty goal to extend the lead to 20-14.

The Cleckheaton pack were dominant in the scrums and lineout was secure. From such a passage, Thrower crashed over for a third try with Breakwell adding another conversion.

Cleckheaton had the lead for the first time 20-21. On 56 minutes the hosts went ahead again with another Watts penalty.

Man of the match Breakwell was immaculate with the boot and added a 30-metre drop goal to put Cleckheaton back in front for a lead they wouldn't relinquish 23-24.

On 67 minutes Matt Piper picked up a cross-kick and made progress, handing on to Josh Plunkett who was held up short of the line.

But he offloaded to Piper who crashed over the line for the bonus point try. Breakwell converted and Cleckheaton were two scores ahead at 23-31.

A second Breakwell drop goal and a 45-metre penalty added to Driffield's misery as the lead extended to 23-37.

Driffield added a fourth try to secure a bonus point and a conversion would have given them two points but the kick was wide and the referee blew for full-time, Cleckheaton running out winners 28-37.

An excellent team performance, Cleckheaton now have a break in league action until November 9 when they entertain local rivals Morley (2.15pm kick-off).