Old Brodleians 19

Keighley 7

KEIGHLEY lost out in a hard-fought game between two well-matched sides in Yorkshire Division One.

Keighley, playing down the slope, started well, with centres Sean Kelly and Matty Langstaff imposing themselves on the opposition.

Although Keighley gained good field positions, the well-organised Brods defence managed to hold them out.

Eventually the home team gathered themselves and it was plain to see why they were unbeaten league leaders.

The forwards and backs combined well to switch play at will, forcing Keighley to concede ground.

Brod’s centre Michael Briggs was a real threat and difficult to put down. Constant pressure was managed well by the resilient Keighley defence.

However, the waves of attacks forced the defence to narrow giving pacey centre Phil Town chance to race up the outside to score in the corner.

Up to the half time whistle there followed a period of midfield stalemate with the defences of both teams gaining the upper hand.

In the second half Keighley were forced to defend from the off, some good Brods work in midfield checked defenders and Town was through under the posts for his second try, that he also converted.

Keighley, showing a great deal of character, started to take Brods on up front, with Leigh Sugden and Will Armitage to the fore the Brods were on the rack.

Back rower Will McLaughlin took advantage and broke through a crowded breakdown situation to score wide out, full back Olly Mitchell added the difficult conversion.

Brods having trouble breaking through the middle played the territory well and a lineout close to the Keighley line was driven hard and a try for second rower Kyle Milward, converted by Town.

Keighley, forced to chase the game, moved up a gear, once again choosing the hard route through the forwards.

Intense pressure should have led to a score, unfortunately on two occasions lack of composure let them down and allowed Brods to clear their lines.

Undeterred, Keighley threw everything they had at the home team and spent extended periods in the Brods 22-metre area.

Their progress was checked too often by repeated infringements that led to a spate of penalties.

Eventually the situation boiled over and a player from each side was red carded.

Although Keighley dominated the last period of the game their efforts went unrewarded.